Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Goliath & Triumph

michaeldr

I watched a programme on the National Geographic channel last night which was devoted to the diving of the wrecks of the Goliath and the Triumph. As is often the case with such programmes I found that there was too much about the technical difficulties of the dive and not enough about the wrecks in question. Having said that, the dangers of diving over the Goliath in the busy Dardanelles channel were amply illustrated when the programme of dives there was cut short after a collision.

The Triumph, in the quieter waters of the Aegean, proved a slightly easy operation, but though here too I found that there was little that they could show us of the ship itself.

With that in mind I found that I was just as interested by the vintage shots of Gallipoli which were used in the TV programme; some movie, some stills. The credits on these programmes are too fast for me so I am afraid that I cannot say where these items were from

One further point which caught my attention was the historical researcher's description of the U-boat's escape after it had torpedoed the Triumph. Apparently the British destroyers closed in very quickly and the U21 was obliged to make a daring escape by taking a dive route underneath the already sinking Triumph.

regards

Michael