Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lloyds of London

PBI

If any Forum Members require scans of Photographs of men who appear in this Book please feel free to ask.There portraits of 216 men in the Book,all of whom worked at Lloyds of London.

If any Forum Members require scans of Photographs of men who appear in this Book please feel free to ask.There portraits of 216 men in the Book,all of whom worked at Lloyds of London.

Is there an index of names by any chance? Also I presume this is an original you have picked up and not a modern reprint?

My first job out of school was as an underwriting assistant at a marine box in the old Lloyds building, many years ago. An interest in the Great War was yet to develop - presumably there was a memorial within the building to the 'old boys'?

The Book itself was printed by Lloyds of London and is an original,i have never seen a reprint of it anywhere else- see scan of cover.The Second picture shows the Lloyds Memorial sometime after the War ended,i have ask Lloyds what has happened tp this large Memorial and nobody there seems to know or care,perhaps someone can shed light on this sad state of affairs.As i mentioned the book contains a photo portrait of every Man who worked at the Lloyds Building along with a short set of Details.

The Book itself was printed by Lloyds of London and is an original,i have never seen a reprint of it anywhere else- see scan of cover.The Second picture shows the Lloyds Memorial sometime after the War ended,i have ask Lloyds what has happened tp this large Memorial and nobody there seems to know or care,perhaps someone can shed light on this sad state of affairs.As i mentioned the book contains a photo portrait of every Man who worked at the Lloyds Building along with a short set of Details.

The Lloyds building changed over to the now famous Richard Rodgers 'oil rig' in 1985/6 - IIRC it may (?) have moved once before in the 20th century - the idea that the memorial would not have moved with the building seems extraordinary.

The Lloyds building changed over to the now famous Richard Rodgers 'oil rig' in 1985/6 - IIRC it may (?) have moved once before in the 20th century - the idea that the memorial would not have moved with the building seems extraordinary.

The current building was at least the third building used by Lloyd's during the twentieth century. There may have been others.

What strikes me as strange about "losing" the memorial is that every year their is a two minute silence and a memorial service of sorts conducted with the local TA (I think the HAC). I seem to remember that this happens on the 9th or 10th November (or previous Friday if falling in a weekend) rather than 11th November. But the point is the act of remembrance has not been forgotten - obviously the memorial was!

Gwilym Lewis, a well known fighter pilot in the RFC, was a Lloyd's underwriter who retained links to the insurance industry right into his 80s. He was, apparently, regarded as the Old Man of Lloyd's, having been underwriting for around 60 years.

That's interesting stuff Jonathan - there is so much history entwined at Lloyds and for so many people there a huge sense of community that the memorial service does not surprise me - I cannot believe the memorial could have been lost though.

Is there any way then of finding out what happened to this rather large memorial,which consisted of two large panels set on each side of the Main entrance to the Old Building. <_<

Is there any way then of finding out what happened to this rather large memorial,which consisted of two large panels set on each side of the Main entrance to the Old Building. <_<

But which old building. The previous building was the '58 building and I dont remember the memorial there.

That's interesting stuff Jonathan - there is so much history entwined at Lloyds and for so many people there a huge sense of community that the memorial service does not surprise me - I cannot believe the memorial could have been lost though.

Its more of a Last Post ceremony rather than a service but the building comes to a complete stop for 2 minutes.

Under the umbrella of "Lloyd's" employees of the London insurance market do an incredible amount for the surrounding communities, particularly with local youths in the deprived areas such as Shoreditch, Whitechapel, Tower Hamlets, so yes there is a huge emphasis of giving something back to the local communities.

Ok,time to start looking into what has Happened to it.

The Cambridge University Press used to have a memorial in their Fetter Lane office. The building has since been demolished and the memorial no longer exists. Fortunately the names were included on the CUP roll of honour and have been published on the excellent http://www.roll-of-honour.com/.

Jill Knight also campaigned to get a memorial re-erected at the DTI.

Maybe a web-site is called for?

Rgds

Andy