Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hunt A or Hunt R 7th Bn. S/F.

Cliff. Hobson

A.or R. Hunt 3124 7th Bn Sherwood Foresters ?, gunshot wound in abdomen, believe wounded at Hooge 30th July 1915 died Northern General Hospital Sheffield 29/10/1915 there are no details on the C.W.G.C. Website, can anyone tell me please if he is on the S.D.G.W.?

Regards Cliff.

CWGC gives:

Name: HURT, JOHN ROBERT

Initials: J R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 30/10/1915

Service No: 3124

Additional information: Son of Edward Reeves Hurt and Eliza Ann Hurt, of Virginia House, Larpit Lane Whitwell, Mansfield.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 14. 9.

Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=515151

The burial details don't match with the place of death in the UK, however. Is this just a conicidence of a very similar name with the same number in two different battalions?

Steve.

Steve , Ken thank you for your replies, I had looked at J.R.Hurt before a long time ago but it had slipped my memory, found that J. R. Hurt was buried in St. Sever Cemetery as was his brother who died 13 April 1917,. I have checked the Village Burial records and also the Churchyard found a R.Hurt born 1896 died 30th October 1915. Could this be a mis-spelling, I doubt it, checked again the Village War Memorial on it is a

"A Hunt" this man I have not been able to find. More detective work required.

Regards Cliff.

• 2 weeks later...

Cliff,

This is an interesting conundrum, but would be solved if Hunt was misspelled as Hurt and the CWGC has made a mistake (which they do occasionally)

Have you double checked with the CWGC that 3124 Hurt is actually buried in St Sever and that they just didn't record it incorrectly? That happened for my Auntie’s G/Father.

Might be just worth an e-mail to them

cheers

Mike