Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New to Medal Collecting

Gary Samson

Having recently been given my grandfather's Great War medals and also having picked up a couple of singles on eBay recently I'm becoming more interested in collecting. So, for Pals with more experience and perhaps extensive collections what would you recommend for storing/displaying a small collection. Are albums suitable? Is there a type that most serious collectors buy? Are plastic envelopes safe for short-medium term storage? Are there any standard or must-have references, eg the Medal Yearbook? Any tips or suggestions for someone completely new to medal collecting would be much appreciated.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I keep my medals in a cabinet although this isn't really for everybody due to the amount of space they take up. I have a some medal albums that I think would be OK while you collection is growing and until you feel you need something more permanent if you want them send me your an E-Mail with your address and I will throw them in the post. The Medal yearbook is good to give you an idea of prices etc. but I think that the best way to find out about naming of medals,abbreviations etc. is just through going to fairs etc. having a look at different medals.

Cheers,

Conor

Gary,

Subscribing to one or more medal dealers catalogues would give an idea of what is available and the varying prices.

Also there are a one or two medal collecting discussion groups on the web.

Stuart

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Gary,

What can I tell you............well collecting medals can be fun, particularly if you do the research at the PRO, it is also an investment for the future judging by the price rises in the last few years, but there are also many pitfalls!!

Here is my advice:

1. Decide what you are going to collect - be it a specific regiment or type of medal such as 1914 stars.

2. Find out where your local militaria fairs are and check them out. NEVER pay the price listed. Most dealers will haggle on price over anything costing more than £20.

3. Register on eBay and Speedbid and look at these sites on a daily basis. Also check out dealers on-line. At the moment eBay/Speedbid are cheaper than dealers.

4. Get known to the trade - some dealers will contact YOU if they get something in which you collect to.

5. Always be nice - NEVER come across as the big 'I am' - the world don't owe you anything - there is a guy who collects to the MGC and believes he has a god-given right to everything <_< he is well known to the trade and most people 'bleed' him.

Some people may agree with what I have said, some may disagree - you go out there and you decide.

Have fun!

Ian

I keep my medals in a cabinet although this isn't really for everybody due to the amount of space they take up.

Like Conor, I have some medal albums although they are practically empty. Most of my, and Jean's, medals are in cabinets which are those stackable, lockable ones from Halfords made to store tools. They might be red and big, but they're metal and keep prying little fingers off our medals.

I recommend getting the Medal Yearbook, from the publishers of 'Medal News'. The 2003 edition (I think the 2004 one is either due out now of very soon) has the following ISBNs: Softback - 1 870 192 494. Hardback - 1 870 192 524.

Contact Token Publishing, Orchard House, Duchy Road, Heathpark, Honition, Devon, EX14 1YD. e-mail: info@tokenpublishing.com or www.tokenpublishing.com

When at medal fairs etc I spend time 'ear-wigging' dealer's conversations with other dealers or buyers, you can pick up a fair bit of info that way.

Learn what the style of naming should be on the medals you wish to collect, there is nothing worse than buying a medal/group to later find that the naming is all wrong :(.

Above all - enjoy yourself! Don't go to medal fairs with the 'I must buy something today' mentality, you'll only buy something you later don't want.

And, unless you're rich, don't bother looking for medals to really rare units! I'm still looking for a 1915 trio to the Parachute Section of the Peruvian Camel Corps :lol:

Gary,

My advice would be to talk to other collector's and to dealer's they won't bite! This way you can usually find out the latest info on the subject and it's pitfuls.

I would also suggest joining the Orders Medals and Research Society, they have an excellent publication which again keeps you up to date with all the latest news in the medal world. You can also go to along to your local branch where they hold informative talks and you can meet like minded individuals.

I would also suggest subscribing to "Medal News", which is a monthly magazine produced by the same publishers as the "Medals Yearbook".

As has already been said, try and get to your local medal fair where you can see hundreds of medals and their prices and talk to dealers and collectors alike.

You will inevitably come across unhelpful people and there's also a strong possibility (especially when you first start out) of getting stung, at least once.

My only real advice on this is, learn as much as you can about the subject, if it doesn't feel right don't buy it, and pay what you think the medal is worth to you.

Good hunting and enjoy youself!! :)

what would you recommend for storing/displaying a small collection.

Gary,

I put my medals in a 'riker case', which I find to be a very safe and easy way to store my groups. These cases come in a variety of sizes and can be found for sale from vendors who sell both medals and coins. There is a soft cotton base for the medals to rest, and a fitted glass top (which I have removed to take the below photo's). I have also seen them quite regularly for sale on ebay. Do an search for 'riker case' and you will find them.

See below examples....

(Photo removed)

Thanks everyone for the extremely helpful advice and suggestions. Of course, a lot of this advice is relevant for anything you buy, research it well and never pay the advertised price (shame this doesn't work all that well in high street stores). I've taken out a subscription to Medal News and shall get hold of a copy of the Medal Yearbook 2004 with the £2 discount voucher that came with the subscription. I'm looking forward to lots of mini research projects at the NA with each medal I acquire.

Thanks, guys, your help is as always much appreciated.

Gary

PS. Lee, I've just bought a Star for £2,500 from a dealer who told me it was issued to a camel dropped, silk-assisted, from a Sopwith of the same name just in front of the German lines at Mons whose aimed fifteen spits per minute gunged a large number of their troops and allowed a significant proportion of the BEF to get away safely. It's not named (I was told that it was unusual to name awards to camels, which seems fair enough) and the ribbon bears a striking resemblance to the stuff we tie our curtains back with but I think I've got a bargain!

PS. Lee, I've just bought a Star for £2,500 from a dealer who told me it was issued to a camel dropped, silk-assisted, from a Sopwith of the same name just in front of the German lines at Mons whose aimed fifteen spits per minute gunged a large number of their troops and allowed a significant proportion of the BEF to get away safely.

Really? Wow, I am SO envious! You got a bargain there mate! Have you seen any medals to members of the Bolivian Mountain Camel Corps from the Quimone region?

:lol::lol:

Lee & Gary,

I have spent years trying to add to my 14-15 Star collection an example named to the elusive Chinese Underground Balloon Corps. I recall years ago one being offered for a mere thousand quid but like a fool I passed on it!

David,

Many thanks for sharing the photos of your collection (now removed). Very impressive indeed and the riker case displays them very effectively, I think. Of course, these days you'd need a second mortage to put together a collection of that size. If only I'd started a few years ago when it seems dealers could hardly give away MMs.

Gary