Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st East Kent Regiment

BJanman

Hi

I am trying to answer a query for a gentleman about his late father who served in the RAMC. I have located the appropriate MIC and it states 'Attached 1st East Kent Regiment Royal Army Medical Corps'. This gentleman was a private but I am assuming his role was to assist the Regimental Medical Officer, something I am looking into. One of the questions is where did he serve? I have looked on the Long, Long Trail but confess that I am totally lost. I can trace where the Divisions served and can trace the Brigades to the Divisions but I have no idea about regiments.

Can anyone advise which Brigade or Division the 1st East Kents served with? Also were the 1st East Kents the Buffs?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Barbara

Brilliant. Thank you so much Barnsey and Mick.

The gentleman does not appear to have had much success in tracing his father's service. In his letter he states that that he knows he enlisted in the Army 30-12-1912 into the Cheshire Regt and that at some point he transferred to the RAMC. He contacted the Cheshire Regt but they were unable to provide any info at all. He wants to know when he transferred and where he served. Without his service papers it will be difficult to find out when he transferred but I didn't want to provide no information as well. I wouldn't want to pretend that I know anything about the 1st East Kents but at least now I can point him in the right direction about where his father served.

I really appreciate your help

Barbara

Barbara

I would suggest you start another thread requesting an enthusiast of the RAMC. They may be able to tell you when he transferred by his new service number.

Good luck

Hi Mick

His MIC doesn't state that he served in the Cheshire Regiment so I guess he transferred before the war or before he served abroad. According to the letter though there is a photo of him in his cheshire Regt uniform.

I could start another thread requesting the help of an enthusiant of the Cheshire Regiment though. Thanks for the idea.

Barbara

It's the RAMC number that's important. A researcher may be able to tell when that number was allocated and hence the transfer date to the RAMC. Without a Cheshire number it will be difficult to trace his pre RAMC service

Good luck

Mick

Ok.

The letter has a phone number so I will see if I can get anymore info that might help and start a new thread.

Many thanks for your advice.

Barbara