Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who my biological granddad?

Guest Marc L.

post-14809-1157290654.jpgpost-14809-1157290681.jpgpost-14809-1157290702.jpgpost-14809-1157290728.jpgHello,

Can anyone help me to trace the identity of my biological granddad?

My father died a few years ago and kept in his wallet during his whole life a picture (a well kept family secret) of a british soldier who died at the end of WWI and who was his biological father.

I have no information. The only bits of information I have are:

My grandmother was a farmers daughter who lived in Houthem, a little village next to Ypres and had to flee with her family to France where my father was born in 'Le Neuville'.

She got pregnant at the end of 1917 (my father was born in may 1918).

The first picture was taken in 'Woolwich' which seems to be a little town nearby Greenwich (If my internet research is correct. The address at the back of the photo is 'Electric Studio's Co. LTD, 11a Hare St., Woolwitch.'. The second was taken in Paris.

I don't know if my granddad was killed in Ypres or in France.

That's about all I know.

Any information will be very much appreciated.

Hi, what a sad story, Im afaid that your chances of identifying him are near zero without a name. The cap badge looks like Royal engineers, and only gog knows how many were killed in 1918. I think you must start your research by obtaining your fathers birth certificate, this may give you his name after that is relatively plain sailing and the experts on the forum will Im sure be able to assist. gareth

You might find your fathers birth certificate in the archives of 'La Neuville' (there's no 'Le' Neuville, I'm afraid). If a birth certificate was ever issued during the ravages of war, it's very likely the certificate still exists.

There's only one village by that name in Northern France, but there's quite a lot of 'La Neuville & more' (La Neuville-les-Bray, -Housset, etc.). Perhaps he was born in one of these viillages/cities.

Quite a search, but certainly worth doing.

Best of luck!

Hello roel,

I checked with my mother and the place my father was born is 'Le Neubourg' iin the France Departement 'Eure'. the zipcode is 27110, and not 'Le Neuville' as in wrongly put. I'll try to find information there. Thank you.

Marc L.

Marc

Mobility and counter-mobility. To keep the British Army moving whilst denying the same to the enemy. They were engaged in a whole range of activities, from construction to demolition, railways, inland water transport, signals, postal services, and chemical warfare.

Terry Reeves

But was the job of the royal engeneers during the war?

Check out http://www.1914-1918.net/cre.htm on the mother site.

What was your father's surname? Was it that of your grandmother, or your grandfather? It might be somewhere to start...

Regards,

Neil.

The mayors office may hold the birth records for this period:-

La Mairie

Place Ferrand 27110 LE NEUBOURG

Téléphone 02 32 35 17 33

Email : mairie@le-neubourg.fr

Roop

Hey Neil,

My father got my grandfathers surname. I suppose my father was adopted after my grandmother married my grandfather. I have to check that too.

Marc

What was your father's surname? Was it that of your grandmother, or your grandfather? It might be somewhere to start...

My fathers name was Louis G. J. Leroy, my grandmothers's Helène Dubois My father got the surname of my grandfather after he married my grandmother. I don't know how my fathers surname was before my grandmother married my grandmother. That's another thing to check. robably through the birthcertificate.

Marc

Mark, it is through your fathers birth certificate tht you have most hope although if there are adoption papers this would have his biological fathers name I'm sure. gareth

G.J. stands for George Joseph. His name was Louis Georges Joseph Leroy

Are any of these family names from your Grandmather's side?

Or, does something of you biological grandfather survive in these, as I guess his christian names came before any adoption?

For example - there is a Royal Engineer named George Joseph on CWGC, died in 1918, but as it was in middle east it is probably not the man in question? However, the middle names of your father may be some clue.

Keep hunting

Mark

Marc, what a sad story indeed. The photos are charming and very handsome. They are pictures of the same chap? (your grandad?) I wonder what he was doing in Woolwich? My own grandad was with the Royal Garrison Artillery (from Woolwich also).

Woolwich is quite a large market town in South East London and the Woolwich Arsenal remains there. This was used for the manufacturing of shells during the war but I have also seen photos of soldiers on parade within the grounds so I am not sure if it actually "housed" soldiers or not. Someone on this forum will be in a better position to advise you on that. I think they have a museum there as well.

I do know that there is another military establishment just a little away from the main Woolwich Arsenal and I think soldiers used to train there (my own uncle did in WW2). There are also some barracks (in Sandy Hill Road) near where I lived a very short time when I was very small.

Hare Street (mentioned on the photo) still exists although the shopping precinct nowadays is all paved over as a walkway. The only family photos I have taken in Woolwich were mainly taken at "Jeromes" - another reputable photographer of the time. The pencil writing on the photo is a clue (but only known to the photographer so not much help).

As everyone suggests it would be best to start with your father's birth certificate and work backwards. I wish to well in your quest. If I can help in any way with the family history part of your journey just let me know.

All the best to you,

Susan.

ps: welcome to the forum. (There are some really helpful and knowledgeable people here).

Marc,

try to obtain a copy of the certification of baptism by the parish of the birthplace. simply writing to the local presbytery.

maybe only for the names of the witnesses.

good luck

marc

Marc,

Are you certain he died towards the end of WW1?

What are the chances that your grandmother was young and in love but this soldier didn't have the same feelings and at the end of the war simply went back to England and abandoned both her and your father.

Then, to hide any embarrasment and shame, your grandmother told everyone he had been killed.

I would suggest that this kind of thing has happened thousands of times in history and could have happened in this case.

Tim L.

Hi,

I don't want to put a damper on this but he may not be named on the birth certificate. All you can do is check your fathers birth certificate and go from there but don't be disappointed if you don't find anything.

Ali

We can think of dozens of reasons why your search is going to fail. But don't let anyone discourage you, Marc. You may get dissapointed now & then during your search, but give it a try! The result may be well worth it!

I certainly agree that the first thing to do is try and obtain a birth certificate. Also the first photo could have been taken not only at Woolwich, but also Aldershot or Islington(?). The same photo paper being used at all three places.

Good luck

Kevin