Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Needed With a WW1 War Poem

MikeS

Can anyone help me please.

My Great Uncle - Pvt 8402 George Green, Lincolnshire Regiment was fatally wounded on 1st July 1916 (1st day of The Battle of the Somme), he died from his wounds on 03 July 1916 and is buried at the War Cemetery at Warloy-Baillon, The Somme, France.

I was given his personal effects and medals by my Grandmother (his Sister), amongst those effects was a poem written in pencil on a scrap of paper about a battle he fought in earlier in the war called The Battle of Neuve Chapelle. I also have the original regimental orders for the battle and the congratulatory message after the battle had been won. The poem, in my opinion, is very good and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for getting this published or into the public domain.

Thank you for your time.

It's good to know that you would like to put this document in the public domain. If you are not seeking any financial reward might I suggest contacting Chris (the webmaster) directly. He might find a spot on this great site for it.

All the best,

Andrew

Thanks for your post Andrew,

I am not looking for anything for it. It would just be a tribute to a man who gave his life for his Country and freedom for all of us.

This poem has been hidden for a long time and I think it should be seen. It's an ordinary poem from a front line soldier.

Perhaps Chris The Webmaster might like to comment.

Thanks for your time.

Regards

Mike

I would be happy to add it, of course. If you were able to let me have any scanned copies of the poem, any other documents and especially a photo of him if you have one it would make a very nice page.

This example, although it is a diary rather than a poem, gives you an idea of what we could do.

Thanks Chris,

The actual poem is written in pencil on a few scraps of paper which would be a little difficult to scan properly. But I can send you an e mail with the poem. I also have a photo of George with others in his unit that I can scan and send. Should I e mail it to you personally or post it on this site.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again.

Mike.