Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Ayun Kara

Guest JJDON

I am doing a presentation for a course on Offensive Action involved in the Battle of Ayun Kara. I need to discuss how the NZMR Bde was able to take the hill and hold against an entrenched and superior enemy with all the advantages that the terrain offered the defenders.

Any reference books or information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, there.

Whereabouts in New Zealand are you? The Auckland Central Library has a copy of each regimental history for WW1 which you could look at, which explains in detail what happened in each campaign the regiment took part in.

Also, there is a fairly recent book called Echoes of Gallipoli: In the words of New Zealand's Mounted Riflemen by Terry Kinloch which you should find at most local libraries.

Allie

I wrote 'Echos of Gallipoli' but it does not deal with Ayun Kara. I recommend the following books:

- Moore, Lieutenant A.B., The Mounted Riflemen in Sinai and Palestine: the Story of New Zealand’s Crusaders, Whitcombe & Tombs, Dunedin, 1920.

- Nicol, Sergeant C.G, The Story of Two Campaigns: Official War History of the Auckland Mounted Rifles Regiment, 1914-1919, Wilson & Horton, Auckland, 1931.

- Powles, Lieutenant Colonel C.G., The New Zealanders in Sinai and Palestine, Whitcombe & Tombs, Wellington, 1922.

- Powles, Colonel C.G. (ed.), and Officers of the Regiment, The History of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles 1914-1919, Whitcombe & Tombs, Auckland, 1928.

- Wilkie, Major A.H., Official War History of the Wellington Mounted Rifles Regiment, 1914-1919, Whitcombe & Tombs, Auckland, 1924.

In addition there is an excellent web site devoted to the battle at http://anzac-israel.com

One chapter of my next book deals with Ayun Kara in detail, but it will not be published before late 2007. In the meantime, I am happy to answer any questions you may have about the battle.

Terry Kinloch

I vaguely wondered about the 'echoes' book as I typed that, having second thoughts if it ventured on to Palestine, and was going off to check when I remembered I took it back to the library yesterday! Tis on my 'must read all the way through' list... have only read the chapters about Chunuk Bair so far. Oops. Sorry about that.

• 2 months later...

Just in case anyone here is interested in this affair: today, when I went to yet another search for the original site of the battlefields cemetery and days before I finish the main body of the research, I've come across a small but thrilling find:

267190.jpg

267191.jpg

267499.jpg

This Turkish grenade was all rusted but it still included the iron ring attached to it… being the first find of weaponry in this battlefield by me, it was more then a coincidence that it was a hand grenade when you remember G. Powles's description of the heat of battle:

"This attack was a well determined one and was well supported by a battery, and at some places reached to within 15 yards of our line where the enemy made great use of bombs".

Unfortunately, by advice of a friend who works for the ammunition industry and collects such things as a hobby, I had to call the bomb squad whom are "taking care" of the find at this very moment. I was told these old Turkish grenades could sometimes be dangerous and unstable. 89 (minus a few days) years it waited an