Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/Essex Regt at Gallipoli

Terry

I am trying to determine just when the 1st Essex came ashore at Gallipoli. A check of various sources on the internet accounts for nearly all of the twelve battalions in the 29th Division landing on 25 April,1915. The only units I have not found were three battalions of the 88th Brigade (1/Essex, 4/.Worc., and 1/5 Royal Scots). I assume they formed a reserve force.

Do any of the Pals have details on their landing?

1/Essex were planned to land at 'V'Beach as the Main Body but they were diverted to 'W' Beach, landing in the late morning of 25 April and sustaining "many casualties in the boats from long range rifle fire" (OH).

Just about to type that - Mauritius, Gallipoli via England, Egypt and Mudros 25 apr 15

Thanks, fellows. Any ideas on which beaches the last two battalions (4/Worc. and 1/5 R.Scots) landed?

Hi Terry,

According to John Wm. Burrows, Essex Units in the War 1914-1919, 1st Battalion The Essex Regiment, the 4th Worcesters and the 1st Essex were in a joint attack on April 25, 1915. He also mentions that the 5th Royal Scots was in reserve on the 27th.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael. I recently picked up a 1/Essex trio with MIC indicating a 25 Apr.,1915 Gallipoli landing. A long way from my CEF interests, but I have always wanted a Gallipoli trio,so :D

Thanks, fellows. Any ideas on which beaches the last two battalions (4/Worc. and 1/5 R.Scots) landed?

Two companies of 1/5 Royal Scots were employed as 'hold parties' in the transports taking part in the landings. The other two companies and 4/Worcs were all part of the Main Body landed at 'W' Beach alongside 1/Essex.