Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help!

Guest Sham

:) Hi

i am currently trying to research a British war medal that was given to my Husbands Grandfather. The only details i have are a name on the medal and an old photo and that my husbands grandfather came to this country from India.I have tried to search online but with no luck.

I would be very grateful if anyone could give me ideas on where i need to look.

Many thanks

:) Hello and welcome to the forum. If you post the details of what is written on the edge of the medal, then i am sure someone here will be able to point you in the right direction,

regards,

Stewart

:) Hello,

Because there is no regiment or number on the medal, it may have been awarded for services with the Merchant Navy. Do you know if the man awarded the medal had a connection with the sea? Can I ask where in the world the name comes from?

Regards,

Stewart

Just to check , you do mean a medal thats actually called "a british war medal" and not one thats a war medal that is British ?

any chance of a picture of the reverse of the medal to be certain ?

I ask as i cant recall a BWM with only the full name on it (except Mercantile Marine I think) - usually get a unit except officers whose rank would be shown

Cheers

:) Hi yes i think he did have something to do with the merchant navy but have no details or proof.He was from India from an area which is now part of the disputed territory of Kashmir.

Hi

Yes i have researched the medal it is a British War Medal with the dates 1914-1918 it says this on the front. GEORGIVS V BRITT.OMN:REX ET IND: IMP: it has a male figure on horseback on the reverse.

Thanks

:)

:) Hello,

If you have a photo of the medal that may help. At the National Archive in London there are some records of Merchant Seamen, I do not how many records there are but I am sure someone on the forum will know if he is likely to be listed. It might be worth starting a new thread in the Royal Navy section of the forum, that way the naval experts will see it and be able to guide you.

Good luck,

Stewart

Ive only ever looked up three seamen (two navy and one merchant) and found all three records including one pictre

certainly sounds like mercantile marine