Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

To Arras, 1917: A Volunteer's Odyssey

Ste

To Arras, 1917: A Volunteer's Odyssey

By W. Reid.

I picked this up for a couple of quid at a publishers clearance shop. Having never previously heard of it, I didn't expect much, although a positive quotation from Niall Ferguson on the cover caught my attention.

This is a sensitive and elegant work that reflects great credit on the author. He traces the story of his uncle, Captain E. Reid, from his family background in Paisley to his death from wounds sustained at Arras. Having few sources directly relevant to his uncle to draw from, the author has gone beyond a family narrative and painted a thoughtful picture of the world in which Captain Reid lived, volunteered and died. He is a gifted writer, and the result is a poignant, well crafted work that displays excellent knowledge of military affairs. Students of the Great War will be impressed by his erudition, empathy and deep thought, whilst newcomers to the subject will find a moving human interest story, free of jargon and assumed knowledge.

Ste

I read the book last year.

Reid was in the 9th Black Watch and was fatally wounded in the battalions attack on the railway triangle at Arras if I remember correctly.

I too have read the book, primarily because my great-uncle died in the same battle in the same battalion as Ernest Reid. Maybe even with Captain Reid.

I would agree with all posted above, and recommend it.

Steve.

Fantastic book. Couple of quid you say? Bargain. In fact, go back and buy the rest of them and distribute them to forum members... :D

Lovely little book. Really captures the spirit of the age. Highly recommended.

Chris C

Fantastic book. Couple of quid you say? Bargain. In fact, go back and buy the rest of them and distribute them to forum members... :D

:D Now why didn't I think of that?

Cheers,

S

I got this for a few quid off ebay, fantastic book, read it in one sitting. Impressive amount of research done and put across very nicely. I like how he didn't restrict himself to telling the soldiers story, but gave very good backround information on the family and Ernest's upbringing, that left me feeling like he could have been in my family.

Wonderful little book, well worth reading.

Barrie