Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battleground Europe book series

Dani Alfonsea

Hello,

I have been recommended some of these books in a recent question I made, and on searching have found there is a very extensive series of them. Not being able to peruse them directly, I would like to get an assessment on these books, in general. Any special recommendations of particular titles would be interesting, too.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Daniel

Any I have read through are (IMHO) decent value.

I enjoyed the Neuve Chapelle publication and would also recommend the 'Walking' titles by paul Reed which are published under the same umbrella.

Handy, readable, nuthin' fancy .. does what it says on the tin.

Des

have several of these; Loos Hill 70, Loos Hohenzolleren, Neuve Chapelle, Aubers Ridge etc. also Asiago and agree with Des.

Lots of useful info for a reasonable price.

Hi Daniel,

I have the whole series and wouldn't be without them. Selected ones accompany me on battlefields trips. Some excellent ones have recently been produced showing the fighting around Thiepval and Beaumont Hamel from the German perspective. One of the best aspects of this series are the walks - these take you down farm tracks which you may not have dared venture down yourself (occasionally meeting large Belgian guard dogs which, thankfully, are usually chained up). I have no particular favourites - just dip in and enjoy.

Things not to like? Well, the proof-reading could be better and the maps are sometimes so reduced as to be unreadable but these are quibbles and I really do suggest that you grab as many as you can.

Incidentally, I have seen several of the series at knock-down prices at Naval & Military Press.

Cheers,

Ian

Any special recommendations of particular titles would be interesting, too.

I guess it depeneds on where interests you.

I have the Guillemont and Montauban ones and find them good reference for a part of the battlefield I'm particularly interested in.

I also have the St Julian one - which I bought without perusing first. Bit of a mistake that - as whilst it is as good as the others in covering the geography of it's story, it was covering a diffeent period of time than I expected. So, it's an interesting read but damn all use.

John

I agree that the books are worth their price. I think they are ony part of the larger picture - if you want to understand what happened in a particular battle there are other books which will cover the topic. However if you are going to the site,or want to get a cursory summary of what happened and where the Series offers a lot. Andy

The standard pattern for these books is to give a historical background to the fighting which took place in the area covered, then describe in some detail the actions which took place there covering events, places and personalities. They also allow for the fact that readers might want to visit the area themselves, as they then give suggestions for a tour of the area either by car or on foot, or both. They usually also give advice to visitors, including places to stay.

I think they're a very good series. With so many titles and so many authors producing them, the quality does vary a little but I do think it's only a little, and that the series as a whole is good value for money.

They're certainly very popular, and they are good sellers.

Tom

As above, good books - great value and always an interesting read. If you want to start somewhere then get the 'Walking the...' ones. Look in your local library too - mine carries a number of them.

Concise, yet in depth, fantastic, have a few want the lot.

regards

Arm

I have 25 of the books and find them good for reference and for planning walks.

The book 'Hill 60' is my favourite, its brings that area alive.

I also recommend the 'Cameos Of The Western Front' series.

The book 'In The Shadow Of Hell', makes you look at Poperinghe in a different light.

I spent a hot, happy day walking around Plugstreet, using the book 'A Walk Around Plugstreet' as a guide.

The 4 'Salient Points' books are superb (a word I don't lightly) and poignant. I use them when at Ypres more than any other books.

Sean

I agree, great books to dip into and helpful 'in the field'.

'Pen & Sword' also often have then at discount prices.

Well worth a look.

Agree with whats been said above - very good value for money, and generally give a fairly in-depth account of the specific battle/area it is covering.

My only problem (and I must admit it is really annoying me) is that they don't always reference their sources, and I don't think some of the authors have ever heard of footnotes or endnotes. I've come across some interesting accounts in some of the books, that I would like to look at in further detail - no chance cos there isn't even a bibliography never mind a footnote.

Despite my tirade, I still find them very useful and recommend them as a wallet-friendly starting point.

Barrie

I've got about 2/3rds of the series and would agree totally with IanA's comments above.

I have just spoken to the editor, with whom I am currently preparing two more guides, who tells me that it is editorial policy, established with the publisher, not to reference these books. They are not meant or intended to be written with academic rigour, which does not mean that they they are not accurate or cannot be trusted. They are what they are - practical guides to be kept in the pocket during visits or in the glove compartment of your car. I put my e mail address in mine, so if you want to know where something came from, send me a message.

Jack

I have a considerable selection of these. I think it would be fair to say that the quality varies - some are absolutely excellent whilst others do not quite shine in the same way. I think I would say that there is not one I would describe as bad and so I would not want to be without the collection but some are undoubtedly much better than others. I have found the Italian ones of particularly great use, not least because there is little else on the Italian battlefields. I have been a big fan of Nigel Steel's volume on Gallipoli as it provides a good general introduction and Christina Holstein's volume on Douaumont is excellent and I would not want to be withot Jack Sheldon's perspectives from the other side of the lines - funny how the non British Western Front ones come to the fore. Those dealing with British W Front sectors vary a little more but I have particularly enjoyed the Loos Volumes and "Boom Ravine" which was a great asset walking that territory.

Do try and get a look at ones you want to buy - especially if you are looking for detail on a specific action or unit to make sure you are getting what you want.