Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AEF Infantryman 1917

Andyshep

Hi

Sorry folks. I put this in the wrong place originally. I'm new here so it'll take a while to get used to a new forum and all its foibles.

Here's a painting of an American Infantryman as he would have appeared in 1917. It's gouache on board. Hope you like it.

Cheers

Andy

AEFpaint1.JPG

Great picture - there's a lot of work gone in to that and it has a "feel" for the period about it. What size is it?

Just wondered about the size while trying to think what it would look like in a frame.

Andy,

Nice to see a fellow 1/6er on the forum.

The membership here are very active, as you can see by the number of posts. Should be able to get answers to those Great War questins here very quickly.

Had any luck with the 'Lighthorseman' yet ?. I noticed that guy in Aussie selling another one this week.

Squirrel

It looks good in a frame. I'll post a pic soon.

Better 'Ole

Had a couple of results with a set of the kit from the Aussie figure at an unvelievably good price and will speak to Austeyr next week about a boxed one. It's going to cost though. My son is going into hospital next week so I'm not going to be able to do much about anything fora while. He's being good enough to hold one for me.

Cheers

Andy

small remark...

This is more 1918 style.

In 1917 the AEF had Lee Enfield rifles + British webbing. Even in 1918 some still had British equipment.

Otherwise, a fine piece of art!

Yep, you're both right. It's all academic anyway; I'm never painting again after seeing Russell's new painting!

Some people are born with all the talent.

Andy

• 1 month later...
This is more 1918 style.

Agree...

In 1917 the AEF had Lee Enfield rifles + British webbing. Even in 1918 some still had British equipment.

Disagree... Some troops were issued SMLEs (because of shortage of Springfields and "P17"s), but his was not general at all.

Far be it from me to be 'conciliatory' on line - :blink: - BUT, I think you're ALL right. Mirouze clearly was trying to depict an AEF soldier right off the boat. And the memoirs are full of comments that they were issued and trained with Springfield rifles, wore Montana hats and canvas leggings, etc., etc. as depicted.

As I understand it, the first two or three active, fully-trained US divisions were re-equipped with SMLEs to allow ammo re-supply by the British army vs. the US. The early AEF did not include supply units and it just reflects how meager and fragmentary the early AEF staff work was. Eventually Pershing understood this and named Gen. Harbord, a combat general, to manage the US logistics centers, equipment and ammo dumps. Once the SOS was up and running - a monumental effort - the whole process of moving war materials to the units under fire worked well. See Frank Freidel's excellent "Over There", chapter 7 for a very nice explanation of the AEF 'Services of Supply' and General James G. Harbord's largely unrecognized efforts. This book also has numerous photos of Doughboys using Springfield rifles in training, at the Argonne, etc. So they were not completely replaced.

I don't really know if these early divisions were re-equipped with Springfields - anybody know that?

ANDY - Do not stop painting, drawing, etc., mate! You have real talent. I always think it is a waste of time and a mistake to have an artist compare his/her work to someone else's. If your mechanical skills are up to speed, whatever you do is YOUR work, not somebody else's. You may admire someone else's work, sure, but you shouldn't try to compare yours to his. Do your best and enjoy the process. ;)

All the best,

Dan

Gentlemen,

The first US divisions that arived in France were armed with issue springfield and P-17 enfields. They retained their issue webgear also. The US bought Brodie helments and SBR's for the first troops untill the manufacture of US versions were brought up to snuff. British equipment was used by two American Divisions that were put under British contol to help replace losses. These were equipted with the SMLE so that there would be no ammo supply problem. Some other British items were supplyed to these divisions as well such as shirts, boots, and the like. Other than these two divisions and the two item's mentioned the use of British webgear and rifles was rare in the AEF.

Thank you

TJS

Hey do not change it yet! according to Mirouze WW1 in colour this is what an AEF doughboy looked like in 1917!

I was just looking at this picture again and noticed how high the heels are on the boots! Why was this they are almost cuban heels?

By the way Andy dont you dare give up. It is an excellent study so keep it up and keep submitting your pictures because you have a massively appreciative audience in this forum

Gunboat - I took a look at the same photo in my copy of the book. The heels do look a little higher than other boots shown in the photos in the book. There may also be some discoloration or dark oil stain(?) in the leather in those particular boots right above the heel.

All the best,

Dan

Gunboat - I took a look at the same photo in my copy of the book. The heels do look a little higher than other boots shown in the photos in the book. There may also be some discoloration or dark oil stain(?) in the leather in those particular boots right above the heel.

All the best,

Dan

Thanks Dan one last question (if I may) are the photos coloured originals or modern recreations?

Laurent Mirouze's paperback 8 x 11 book, WWI Infantry in Colour Photographs, was published as Europa Militaria No. 3 by The Crowood Press in 1999, ISBN 1-86126-288-4. Mirouze is (I believe) an editor for Histoire and Collections, the firm that publishes "Armes Militaria" magazine. You can buy used copies of the book online from Abebooks or Amazon or e-Bay at pretty reasonable prices. I think I paid $20.00 for my copy. Here's a link to Histoire and Collections web site - http://militaria.histoireetcollections.com/.

All the best,

Dan