Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Divisional Employment Company

kevin

I have come across the Divisional Employment Company while doing research, could some one tell me what the roll of these Companies was.

There seem to have formed in May/June of 1917 and i am a where of men been transfered from the above companies to the Labour corps, any info would be of interest.

Regards Kevin

I believe these companies comprised men of lower physical prowess due to illness/injury. Their main role was in behind the lines duties - clerks, cooks, postal work, laundry etc.

Kevin

The Divisional Employment Companies were part of the Labour Corps.

Their role was as support troops for the division, as such they carried out a wide range of duties including running the Divisional Baths, Laundry, Cinema, Theatre, Canteens and Recreation Rooms, Stores, Clothing Depot.

I would be interested in details of any man who served in one of these Companies. Name, Labour Corps and Employment Company number to add to my Labour Corps database.

Divisional Employment companies were actually first formed in the early summer of 1916, and utilised Infantry Labour units and unfit men from within the division. They became part of the Labour Corps in the early summer of 1917 and changed their titles, ie 47th Divisional Employment Company, which was part of 47th Division, became 241st Divisional Employment Company.

Charles M

Thank you for the infomation Gents.

Ivor the only info i have kept is in ref to two o/r,s and one officer who recieved the French Croix de Guerre, and there are:-

Temporary Lieutenant(acting Captain) Ernest Charleton, Labour Corps.

223825 Serjeant David Bradford, 237th Divisional Employment Company, attached 120th Infantry Brigade,Labour Corps.(Dundee).

223521 Serjeant Edwin Butler,232nd Divisional Employment Company,attached 104th Infantry Brigade, Labour Corps.(Icker Hill, Staffs.).

All Gazetted on the 19th June 1919, if i come across anymore Ivor i will keep anote and pass them on.

Regards Kevin

PS. A Happy New year to you all.