Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty List 1st July 1916

Chunkeroo

Hello Forum

Whilst trawling through my local newspaper archives, ( Gloucestershire Echo), I copied a casualty list dated 1st July 1916 and have typed out them in a list for anyone interested. Unfortunately, I do not have excel on my laptop so it is in Wordpad and therefore not in alphabetical order. The headline for this list reads as follows:

"ADMISSIONS TO LOCAL HOSPITALS

Late on Thursday night, a Red Cross train brought to Cheltenham from Southampton 202 sick and wounded soldiers from the front. More than half (112) were cot or stretcher cases, many having lost a limb and some suffering from the effects of gas. Dr Hugh Powell, chief local transport officer, was in command of the ambulance corps. The soldiers were distributed as under:-"

I have attached the list of men. Details given are Name, Rank, Regt and hospital. There are many different Regiments named and two men from the Royal Flying Corps. The hospitals named are places in Cheltenham except for Naunton, which is a village near Cheltenham.

Clare

Echo_Casualty_List.rtf

One bloody Northumberland Fusilier and his name - "Arthur Smith" of which 35 of that name served in the Regiment.

Graham :(

"The Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic" (a picture magazine of the period) has quite a few pictures of patients from the Gloucestershire VAD hospitals. The ones pictured usually have a photogenic bandaged arm or leg or sitting in a bath-chair and gamely taking part in an inter-hospital cricket match, or something.

As usual, though, there are rarely names to the faces.

Bob.