Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7 Digit Numbers?

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

When were the 7 Digit numbers for regular infantry issued from.

I have a South Lanc's Scarlet Tunic which was issued to a Number 8916, 2nd Battalion, in 1910. There is a MIC to 8916 Pte Sidney G Henson of the South Lanc's, he was later re numbered as 3644383. i think it must be the same man.

Regards,

Stewart

1916 I think - Im lucky as the Guards didnt get renumbered until the 1920's

But, men I know did get given odd numbers out of sequence to fill gaps or, so it seems, if they wanted to keep their old number - I have medals to a boer war veteran who rejoined and was given his old number despite some one else having it

Medal card of Large, Arthur

Corps: Coldstream Guards

Regiment No: 8702

Medal card of Garnett, James

Corps: Coldstream Guards

Regiment No: 8702

Oh yes, I have both sets of medals except Garnetts victory medal ....hint ;)

It's been mentioned on the forum that the 7-digit numbers may be tied in with Long Service Good Conduct medals, but I can't confirm that myself!

Steve.

Thats given me an idea....report later as Mrs C is shouting at me to go out!

The first new series of seven figured numbers for regular soldiers appeared in 1920, so Sidney must have still been serving. The South Lanc's numbers for this new series were 3644001 - 3701000. The scheme was then extended to include re-formed "Territorial Army" Battalions, and remained in place until the 1960's, when a new numbering system was adopted, which embraced the Army as a whole and b*gg***d up any chance's of research for future generations.

Graham.

I think Stebie may be right but I need to collect some more data to confirm what I think

There are 119 MICs to the CG with 7 dig numbers - assuming the cards also relate to LSGC (and that I know some relate to LSGC issued in the late 1930's ) then thats 119 issued in about 20 years - only 6 per year which seems to low.....but there must be a reason why these men had longer numbers on the cards or why bother to put them there ?

Ill be back on this one ...

Coldstreamer,

I'm going off my regimental journals for 1920, which shows the change over from old to new seven figure numbers both at home and overseas, and an Appendix on the new numbers appears in KR's for 1923. Any Guards regimental journals to hand may help you out.

Graham.

Coldstreamer,

I'm going off my regimental journals for 1920, which shows the change over from old to new seven figure numbers both at home and overseas, and an Appendix on the new numbers appears in KR's for 1923. Any Guards regimental journals to hand may help you out.

Graham.

The CG got off to a late start with Journals and didnt start until the mid 1920s

:) Hello,

It looks as though he may well have continued to serve into the 1920's. I wonder if he did get the LSGC? The Tunic does have the badge of a Colour Sergeant on it, he must have worn it at some time after the war.

Regards,

Stewart