Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

second lieutenant edward leadbetter gray

hendy

hello pals i wonder if you can help me my father lives in a small hamlet called mordington with about 6 houses situated on the england scotland border looking round the very small graveyard in a corner i came across agrave to a edward leadbetter grey second lieutenant, royal flying corps died age 21 date of death22/3/1918 nobody in the hamlet canhelp me with this gentleman so iwas wondering if he was a native of the village and how he died any information graefully recieved ps this isthe only serviceman in the graveyard

Starting at the easy bit:

Name: GRAY, EDWARD LEADBETTER

Initials: E L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text: 13th Training Sqdn.

Date of Death: 22/03/1918

Additional information: Son of Edward and Annabella Gray, of Edrington Castle, Berwickshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: F. 5.

Cemetery: MORDINGTON BURIAL GROUND

and

London Gazette 26-1-1918

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Mil. Wing.—The undermentioned appts. are made: —

The undermentioned Cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts. (on prob.) : —

20th Jan. 1918.

Edward Leadbetter Gray.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Steve.

The 13th Training Squadron was at Yatesbury, Wiltshire around that time.

whereas Mordington and Edrington are right next to each other, so yes, a local man.

Steve.

EDIT: Oops. Beat me to the reply!

I wasn't expecting an officers MIC for him, as he would seem to have died in Training, but there is one:

Medal card of Gray, Edward Leadbetter

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Flying Corps Temporary Second Lieutenant

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

Steve.

Hendy

2Lt E L Gray was flying with Capt Albert Higgs Vinson MiD, from Belevdere, Kent, in DH 6 C7663 of No 13 Training Squadron when they were both killed in an accident on 22 March 1918, after 2Lt Gray apparently fell across the controls of the aircraft and caused it to crash near Yatesbury, Calne, Wiltshire.

Capt Vinson's MiD was, I believe, for an episode on 6 April 1917, when he was flying with 2Lt Everard Leslie Champion Gwilt (formerly Royal Garrison Artillery) in BE 2e A3157 of No 15 Sqn on a photographic mission. They were attacked by several Albatros scouts and forced down near Lagincourt. An Albatros tried to shoot at the downed airmen, but was driven off by British ground fire. 2Lt Vinson was able to salvage the photographic plates from the wreckage of his aircraft, despite it being shelled by German artillery.

The conqueror of A3157 (and the man who strafed the crew on the ground) was Ltn Werner Voss of Jasta 11; it was the 24th of his eventual 48 victories.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth