Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Place of Enlistment

Guest mruk

Can anyone help please? I have a soldier who's place of enlistment is given as both Leeds and Rugely, Would it have been possible to join a battalion at camp, or point of training, and why are two places given?

Simms, George Francis Pte. No. 16057 [10th West Yorks] Born: Lichfield, Staffs. Enlistment: Leeds [Rugely, Staffs]

Many Thanks in Advance,

Dave

Many Thanks, Simon.

Actually, I have a couple of 17th pre-fixes killed with the 10th West Yorks, is it possible these men would have been Bantams too?

Kind Regards,

Dave

Very likely, service btns. are usually a pretty safe bet (famous last words...).

• 10 months later...
Can anyone help please? I have a soldier who's place of enlistment is given as both Leeds and Rugely, Would it have been possible to join a battalion at camp, or point of training, and why are two places given?

Simms, George Francis Pte. No. 16057 [10th West Yorks] Born: Lichfield, Staffs. Enlistment: Leeds [Rugely, Staffs]

Many Thanks in Advance,

Dave

Hi,

did you ever locate this man's enlistment? I was searching on ther forum yesterday and found a thread mentioning his name and I was going to supply some missing data( I can't find it now). Anyway, I think it could be a Rugeley enlistment because he was residing there in 1914 and the town is only 7 miles from his birthplace

JPG

From the notes in SDGW book form:

"NB -When the place of enlistment is followed by the name of another place in brackets ,the latter represents the deceased soldiers place of residence"

Ady

Many Thanks, Ady. That clarifies a few points.

Cheers, Rob. I was working from a photocopy of SDGW at the time, and you are correct, the CD version does give his place of residence as Rugely.

JPG. I'd be grateful of anything you can supply. Thanks for your interest.

Simms, George Francis Pte. No. 16057 [K.I.A.] 2-3-1916 Age: Unknown Born: Lichfield, Staffs Enlisted: Leeds [Rugely, Staffs] Cemetery-Memorial: Spoilbank Cemetery I. A. 12.

Regards to All,

Dave

Hi Dave,

George Simms was born in Lichfield in 1882, so about 34 when he died. He was the son of a well established Mineral water manufacturer John Simms residing in Church Street. There no mention of him in the local press, but Rugeley did have its own individual newspaper, therefore sometime in the future I might be able to find a photograph.

John

Many Thanks, John

This is smashing news and a welcome piece of additional information. This is one of the problems I have with the diversity of the 10th West Yorks, and I'm having to work out from Leeds to gain a better idea of the character and compostion of the battalion. I will add it to my database with compliments and acknowledgement.

Greatly Appreciated,

Dave

Superb. Glad to be of assistance.

I have seven men from the Yorkshire Regiment, mainly 2nd, 5th & 7th Battalion's. Some seem to be in the West Yorkshire Regiment. Is this different from the York's

John

Hi John,

There is a subtle and slight difference. The Yorkshire Regiment, also known as the Green Howards, tended to recruit and were mainly based in the North Yorkshire area, while the West Yorks...

The 7th Green Howards, incidently, formed part of the same division as the 10th West Yorks [17th Northern Divison], who were also attached to the 21st Division during the attack on Fricourt in July, 1916.

The 17th Northern Division also comprised the 6th Dorsets and 7th East Yorkshires, and were part of the 50th Brigade.

I'm sure the names would be useful to other members if you would be good enough to post them.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Dave

here they are

Yorkshire Regiment

Bagnall, Edward Private 2nd Battalion

Collins, Henry Private 5th Battalion

Gallimore, Ernest Private West Yorkshire 2nd Battalion

Smith, John Gilbert Private 2nd Battalion

Wright, Walter 2nd Lieutenant West Yorkshire

Wilson, Roy Private West Yorkshire

Bytheway, Reginald Signaller 5th Battalion

The last five men are non-Lichfield men, so that confirms your diversity theory. Alas, I don't know the age of Walter Wright

John

Hello John,

Many thanks for supplying the names. It's a pity about the gap in the info surrounding Walter Wright's age. It is perhaps worth asking if someone would look him up in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour. Would someone be kind enough to check to see if he is listed please? I've just had a brief look through 'The Times' but couldn't find anything specific.

Wright, Walter Horace 2nd Lt. [1st West Yorkshire Regiment] K.I.A. 21-3-1918 Age:Unknown. Cemetery-Memorial: Arras Memorial. Bay 4. [Husband of Violet Claris Wright, 1 Dean's Croft, Lichfield, Staffordshire]

Kind Regards,

Dave