Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yorkshire & North Staffs Regiments

Stokesy

Hi All,

I've conducted some research into two of my ancestors and am looking for any information on the following battallions/persons.

Private John William Gowan #28264

9th (Service) Battalion - Yorkshire Regiment (23rd Division).

Private William Stokes #40258

8th (Service) Battalion - ('C' Company North Staffordshire Regiment (19th Division).

I have found the 'Order of Battle' for both of these divisions and am anxious to find out more detailed information about the units. Any regimental photos would be greatly prized, as would any information on the movements of these units between July 1916 and Sept 1917 (Both men were killed in action at Menin Road).

Stokesy

Stokesy,

Re John William Gowan 9th Yorkshires KIA Sept 20th 1917.

No mention of individual soldiers in the Green Howards history but here are some details of the battalion 1916-1917.

July 1st - Night march to Baisieux

July 2nd - Bivouacs near Albert

July 3rd - Tara-Usna line in front of La Boiselle

Following few days

Attacks on Horseshoe Trench

Attacks on Contalmaison

Battalion stayed on the Somme until August 11th and then entrained at Mericourt for Flanders.

Didn't stay long and by September 4th were on 2nd Army training ground near St Omer.

September 11th - Back on the Somme.

September 18th - Back in the line in Prue and Starfish Trenches and took part in attacks on Le Sars.

October 12th - Back to Ypres Salient where they spent a cold damp winter in and out of the line.

February - In training area

April early May - Corps reserve near Steenvoorde.

May 20-21st - Attack on enemy trenches at Canada Street.

June 7th - Battle of Messines, battalion fighting in the Battle Wood area.

Rest of June spent in Dickebusche area as Bde or Div reserve.

July - No serious operations.

First part of August at Moulle doing musketry training.

August 24th - Back into the line.

September 18th - Left Micmac camp and to Railway Dugouts.

September 19th - Moved to Clapham Junction-Menin Road. Companies in the area of Stirling Castle and Sanctuary Wood. At 9-30 pm battalion moved into assembly trenches for attack the next morning.

September 20th - 5-30am Misty morning the bn advanced towards Inverness Copse.

200 yards into the copse they had a planned 3/4 hr stop

Moved on again when some of the fiercest fighting took place.

9-15am Battalion HQ moved up to an old German aid post just south of the Menin Road.

The rest of the day was spent consolidating the positions they had gained with stores and ammunition being brought up.

Hope this may be of some use to you.

Bob.

Bob,

Thanks very much - this is all new information to me and I'm most grateful.

Did you come across this stuff incidentally to your own research...? If so, perhaps you could point me in the right direction regarding sources. I'm working up to a PRO visit to have a look at the War Diaries but any other literary pointers is a bonus.

Thanks again.... S

From "Soldiers Died in the Great War"

40259 Pte William Stoks

Born Longhidge Farm, Wilts

Enlisted Salisbury

8th North Staffords

From Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Son of Edward C. and Emma Jane Stokes, of Quidhampton, Salisbury

Died 20 September 1917

Aged 39

C Company, 8th North Staffords

No known grave

Commemorated on Tyne Cot memorial to the Missing

From me

Battalion was part of 57th Brigade, 19th(Western) Divsion

Took part in Battle of the Menin Road on 20 September. Brigade attacked south east from in front of Klein Zillebeke and reached Postdam and Moat Farm.

From his number I guess he was not out there too long before this attack, and was a conscript.

Thanks Chris, - That all seems to fit. I can see that I really do need to have a look at the Medal Rolls and Regimental Diaries for a more 'in depth' picture. Your info is very much appreciated however.

Will Stokes was a volunteer, I believe, and family history has it that he enlisted whilst still under-age. I see from the CWGC site (and in the book of memorial at Tyne Cott) that his age is given as Thirty-nine. I will have a look at our family history and try to find out the definite date.

I visited Ypres during the summer (2003) and spent some time in the area between Sanctuary Wood/Zonnebeke - which I guess is roughly the area where both of these two ancestors of mine (from different sides of the family) died. It's a strange feeling.

Thanks again for the information Chris. This site really is one of the most informative and useful sources for The Great war and generally one of the better web-sites I have come across. Do keep up the excellent work.

Lest We Forget.

Best.... Chris Stokes

Stokesy,

Info comes from Green Howards in the Great War.

I live in N/E England and the Green Howards are my local regt hence my interest in their actions in the Great War.

Good Luck with your research.

Bob.