Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Expeditionary Force Canteens

Nigel M

I have a payslip for my grandfather who was a private in the Expeditionary Force Canteens in 1916. I have researched a number of websites and unfortunatly I can't find any specific details about this part of the Army although I am aware it became a forerunner of the NAAFI from the detail Ihave read here..What Btn would you enlist in? Where were they stationed? I have my grandmothers passport and she as a stamp in it allowing her to only visit the zone of the armies in 1919 however it does not state were.

We do not have his service number which makes our search even more difficult. Can anybody shed some light? His name was George Marshall.We are still in possesion of an artillery shell case which has been very carefully inscribed with Ypres RCA 1914 which he brought home from France apparentley from a German POW.Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nigel

Nigel,

You may have to apply for an Inter Library Loan on this title, but the book you need is:

West and East with the EFC by E Vredenburg, published 1919 by Raphael Tuck.

Kate

Thanks for your reply however I am not sure what an Inter Library Loan is? Can you please enlighten me.

many thanks

Nigel

The Inter Library Loan system does exactly what it says on the tin, Nigel.

Go into you local library and ask if they have a copy of the EFC book. Chances are they will say 'no'. They will then tap their computer keyboards, and ask you to complete a form. In all likelihood, that form will go to the British Library, who will send a copy to them, and issue it to you. This whole process should set you back about £3, but I have not requested for a while, so I don't know the current charge; but it won't break the bank.

Good luck

Kate

many thanks I will be there in the morning

regards

Nigel

Nigel

They were enlisted into the Army Service Corps. There are over 90 pages of EFC men in the Medal Index Cards on the National Archive website. There seems to be variations in spelling of the unit name so try: Expeditionary Force Canteen: Expeditionary Forces Canteen and Expeditionary Forces Canteens, all which appear to throw up names.

Terry Reeves

Expeditionary Force Canteen: Expeditionary Forces Canteen and Expeditionary Forces Canteens, all which appear to throw up names.

:blink:

Nigel, just a bit from my great uncle's diary:

April 22, 1918 – Sick parade in a.m. Went with Padre Davies to Proven to E. F. [Expeditionary Forces] canteen. Very heavily shelled at night with shrapnel. No mail since Friday.

Ann

I would have thought there would have been a voluntary element to the EFC, with organizations such as the YMCA and Salvation Army playing an active role, and providing facilities for recreation and leisure etc., away from the front line. These groups were also active postwar, and provided low cost trips to the battlefields for those unable to afford the more exhorbitant prices which some travel agencies were charging. I think you're right to assume, though, that the EFC was a forerunner to the NAAFI which was formed in 1921, and which is often the butt of much ridicule and leg-pulling-not least, in what the acronym 'NAAFI' stands for: 'No Ambition and Eff-All Interest'. A little unfair, perhaps, considering the amount of flak the Canteen Manager from HMS Ardent received when he took up arms when the Agentinians were bombing **** out of the ship during the Falklands, with a loss of several lives. Nevertheless, it's all in the name of good fun.

Regards,

Dave

In Memory of LPTI Gary 'Sandy' Nelson, and the rest of the lads on the 'Ardent'

Terry

thanks for the tip,I have searched on the NA under Army Service Corps and think I have found my grandad's records.I have the address where they lived from his payslip, is there any where I could cross reference this to prove I have the correct details?

regards

Nigel

Nigel,

I have a few bits and pieces to a canteens man (JH Loram) who unfortunately died.

His number is prefixed with an A. (A-257225). The C.W.G.C show him as

Army Service Corps (Canteens).

The contemporary picture of his memorial says A.S.C. .E.F.C.

May help a little,

Regards,

Spud

• 2 weeks later...