Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anzac POW's on 25th April 1915

Krithia

I have come across the name of Frederick Ashton, 11th Battalion AIF who was captured by the Turks in Mule Gully on 25 April 1915 during the Gallipoli landing. Does anyone know of any other POW's for the first day of the landings?

Steve,

There is Adams Edgar ... He went missing after the initial landing. In November a "message in a bottle" washed up on the beach near Alexandria (!!) and the message stated that Adams was held as a prisoner.

He did not appear on any POW lists provided by the Turks, so one can assume he was killed. (*)

This subject has been on the forum before but can't remember when ... Maybe the person who provided this information reads this and will contribute.

eric

Thanks Eric and Kim. I have a bit of info on Edgar Adams, his brother incidently was killed on 25th April, also 8th AIF. Both their photos are on the AWM site including Edgars message in a bottle.

In Kim's scan of the history Bean mentions only four POWs for the first day; Ashton and Major R.T.A. McDonald, Captain W.E. Elston and Private R.F. Lushington. With Adams, who is not mentioned, this bumps it up to five.

Are there more? I understand that the list of British Prisoners of War in Turkey (compiled by the US Ambassador at the time) only mentions Ashton. If McDonald, Elston and Lushington are missing, who else is?

I understand that the list of British Prisoners of War in Turkey (compiled by the US Ambassador at the time) only mentions Ashton. If McDonald, Elston and Lushington are missing, who else is?

Oops ... Mcdonald, Elston and Lushington are mentioned on the list of POW's.

Oops ... Mcdonald, Elston and Lushington are mentioned on the list of POW's.

A couple of kiwis were nabbed by the Turks, one on the inland slopes of Baby 700 and the other forward of Second Ridge. Both have left accounts of their capture and subsequent ordeals.

Andy M

ADAMS, 1127 Private Edgar Robert Colbeck. D Coy, 8th Battalion AIF

On 1 November 1915, a bottle was found on the beach near Montazah, Alexandria, Egypt, containing a note stating that he had been captured 25 April 1915.

A court of enquiry held in London on 11 July 1918 ruled that he died while prisoner of wars on or about 25/4/15.

post-854-1156924120.jpg

Brother; Private 808 Frederic James Adams, D Coy, 8th Battalion, AIF was killed in action at Anzac on 25 April 1915.

Private RF Lushington, Lieutenant (later Captain) WE Elston and Captain (later Colonel) RTA McDonald, all of the 16th Battalion, were captured on Pope's Hill on 25th April. All survived their captivity. Lushington later wrote a book:

Lushington, R. F 1923, A Prisoner With The Turks 1915 - 1918, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & Co. Ltd, London.

Bean (Vol 1 p468) states that, along with Bugler Ashton of the 11th Battalion, these were 'the only Australians who remained prisoners in Turkish hands at the landing.'

A couple of kiwis were nabbed by the Turks, one on the inland slopes of Baby 700 and the other forward of Second Ridge. Both have left accounts of their capture and subsequent ordeals.

Andy M

Neither account is on the net, hench I cannot give you a link. The diary of one has survived and the other left a typewritten account for his family. I have copies of both, which are reclining in my filing cabinet in NZ. I live in the UK. Parents will be back soon from NY so I'll get them to pull them out and fire copies over. Send me a PM with your email and I'll happily arrange delivery. I have pictures of both soldiers.

Andy M