Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Does anyone know who he is?

stevew

For me this is one of the first things I can remember from seeing WW1 footage.

I believe it is from the Somme, and it is where the camera is looking along a trench and a soldier is carrying a wounded soldier over his shoulder (and he is stooping a little bit), as he walks along the trench he has the occasional look up at the camera.

I fully expect the answer to be 'no', but does anyone know who the soldier is and whether or not he survived the war, hopefully many of you will know the piece of footage I am referring to.

Guest Pete Wood

If it is the footage I am thinking of, he is carrying the wounded soldier piggy-back fashion.

It's owned, I believe by the Imperial War Museum and surely must have made more money (in reproduction rights) for the IWM than any other piece of film.

Claims have been made for his identification. He is said to have survived the war. From memory he was 29th or 4th Division man, possibly LF, opposite Beaumont Hamel. Was there a cameraman with the Bedfords on 1/7/16?

A famous clip of film. Questions were asked about it in the House of Commons when the film was released for public showing. Was it right that the Mothers/Daughters/Wives of England should see their Sons/Fathers/Husbands dying in this manner?

The piece of film referred to is heart rending enough in black and white, the man doing the carrying looks about done in and terrified, however it was colorised for a recent series on the TV and the effect was even more startling. I get a lump in my throat every time I see the poor b****r struggling along carrying his mate.

Andy

The man was from the 1st Bedfords, 5th Division and was filmed just before crossing the sunken lane at Beaumont Hamel presumably heading for the communication trench to Auchonvillers.

Aye

Malcolm

Infuriating. I was looking at the ‘still’ of this picture only a few days ago but can’t find it now, (I think it was on the net.) The caption said that the casualty died twenty minutes after the picture was taken.

Roy

It is in ' Twenty Years After Vol II ' by Major General Sir Ernest Swinton. p730. It is also an IWM still photo - sorry, don't know the number.

Aye

Malcolm

I am not sure he was 5 Division? Were they invovled on the first day of the Somme? I cannot find a record of them.

I have seen the photo tonight (it's on the front cover of Middlebrook's FDOTS) and at least one bloke in it appears to be wearing a triangle as a divisional insignia; that was the badge of the 29th Division who were between Auchonvillers and Beaumont Hamel?

The picture appeared on the cover of Martin Middlebrook's "First Day on the Somme". Several years later Martin had a letter from someone who had seen the picture year after year at remembrancetide and felt it had a family ring about it. They wanted to obtain a quality reproduction of the picture. As a result an identification was made. I can't remember the details and, of course, it might not have been correct.

Martin

There was a thread on this sometime ago - Tom Morgan was the one who identified him - the guy doing the carrying. Tom?

Ian

I didn't identify him myself - birthday or not, I'm not that old - but I did say that the booklet which used to identify the IWM video said:

In a letter to the Museum in 1978 the rescuer was identified as RSM George Wood, West Yorkshire Regiment (presumably 21st Pioneer Battalion, 4th Division) by his daughter - the man being rescued wears a 29th Division shoulder flash.

Tom

Is this the image?

He is done in but not done for. He has seen things that nobody should see and perhaps done things that nobody should do. Things that will occupy his days and nights for the rest of his life; things that he may never speak of. He is appalled that someone is filming a dying man. If his hands were free and he had the strength left, he would fell the photographer. He is everyman of the Great War.

Bravo, Clive, well said. How many times was the same scene repeated, on all fronts and by all armies, but never filmed like this?

Peter (sad in Ottawa :( )

Is this the image?

He is done in but not done for. He has seen things that nobody should see and perhaps done things that nobody should do. Things that will occupy his days and nights for the rest of his life; things that he may never speak of. He is appalled that someone is filming a dying man. If his hands were free and he had the strength left, he would fell the photographer. He is everyman of the Great War.

Yes, that is the image.

I find it a very powerful piece of footage.

Some very poignant words from Clive

I remember hearing or reading that there was a camera man with the Newfoundland Regt at the Somme, and some of the footage was of them. I don't know which.

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario