Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What regiment?

dunmore44

post-9450-1156612508.jpgThis is a photograph of my Gt Grandfather

On the 5th August 1914 he was recalled to the colours as a reservist (previous service 2nd DCLI 1903 - 1912). During WWI he served with the 1st DCLI from 1914 - 1917. For the remainder of the war he served with the 1st/2nd Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry and then the Railway Troop Depot, Royal Engineers. Looking at the photograph can anyone establish what unit he was with at the time.

which of these units wore a light coloured lanyard?

What would the three stripes on his wrist represent, were they good conduct stripes or the amount of time he was on active service?

Also it appears that he is wearing the insignia of a L/Cpl but his records show that he was a private throughout his service

help would be appreciated

thanks

Lance Corporal, wearing Good Conduct chevrons, wearing lanyard possibly of mounted troops (Yeomanry)

It wasn`t uncommon for soldeirs to go up and down the ranks, during the war. I`m sure all these events would not have been noted down. An example my GGF was a Lance Corporal, but when he was wounded in October 1918, by a shell-he was reduced to the rank of Pte whilst in hospital then the war ended and he was de mobbed as a Pte. But he`d spent most of the war as a Lance Jack. His MIC gives his rank of L/Cpl, but he papers clearly say Pte.

Also it appears that he is wearing the insignia of a L/Cpl but his records show that he was a private throughout his service

This is normal.

Lance Corporal is an appointment not a Rank, therefore it's common for the rank to still be show as that of a pte.

Would the pattern of the weave on his "Lance Stripe" narrow the search a little?

Isn't this the case with some Regt's/Corps? :unsure:

If you know who the baby is and their birth date you could probably narrow down the date the photo was taken - which might help. The little one is certainly less than a year old.

cheers

Steve

Steve this is whats confusing me

His first born (my grandmother) was born Jan 1915, and according my gt grandfathers service records he was out in France from Aug 1914 - Apr 1917, so she would have been over two before he first saw her. so it couldn't have been her

His second born (another daughter) was born April 1918 and Frederick was discharged in Dec 1918. Although I beleive that the baby looks older than 8 months? If it is her in the photo, then this would be a Royal Engineers uniform, but dont the RE wear a blue lanyard?

Steve this is whats confusing me

His first born (my grandmother) was born Jan 1915, and according my gt grandfathers service records he was out in France from Aug 1914 - Apr 1917, so she would have been over two before he first saw her. so it couldn't have been her

His second born (another daughter) was born April 1918 and Frederick was discharged in Dec 1918. Although I beleive that the baby looks older than 8 months? If it is her in the photo, then this would be a Royal Engineers uniform, but dont the RE wear a blue lanyard?

Do you know if your g grandfather came home on leave at all? I guess the photo could have been taken then? Not sure about lanyard colours myself - all I know is that these are more often than not associated with mounted troops, so I guess in this case could still either be yeomanry or RE! (which if he served in these post-1917 I guess would make the little girl your gran's sister.)

cheers

Steve

• 17 years later...
On 28/08/2006 at 12:10, SFayers said:

Do you know if your g grandfather came home on leave at all? I guess the photo could have been taken then? Not sure about lanyard colours myself - all I know is that these are more often than not associated with mounted troops, so I guess in this case could still either be yeomanry or RE! (which if he served in these post-1917 I guess would make the little girl your gran's sister.)

cheers

Steve

Well if that is your Gran's sister @dunmore44 that would be my grandmother Myrtle, more commonly known as Ann.  We must be second cousins!

I am here researching too.