Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Lieut Rolf Darab Kennedy - Killed 27/3/18

maccmedalman

I would be grateful if anybody out there can supply me with any information (other than what is on CWGC) relating to 2 Lieut Rolf Darab Kennedy who was killed on 27/3/1918. Is it likely that he was a pilot or observer?

I would also appreciate any info on 23 Squadron RFC.

Many Thanks

Richard

Richard

2Lt R D Kennedy was flying SPAD XIII B6848 when he was killed in action on 27 March 1918. He left Moreuil aerodrome at 1038 on a reconnaissance and bombing mission against the advancing German Army and was brought down south east of Arvillers, probably by ground fire.

No 23 Sqn RFC was formed in September 1915, and went to France in March 1916 equipped with the FE 2b, a two-seat fighter reconnaissance machine. In January 1917 it re-equipped with the single-seater French-designed SPAD VII; some of the later SPAD XIIIs were used in early 1918. In March 1918, the SPADs were replaced with Sopwith Dolphins.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Gareth,

Many thanks for that information - it is of great interest to me.

Can you recommend any publications/websites that will help me with researching 2 Lieut Kennedy and 23 Squadron?

Thanks Again and Regards

Richard

Richard

I can't think of much that will help on 2Lt R D Kennedy, but I can put forward two suggestions that might help about No 23 Sqn and its SPADs:

SPAD VII Aces of World War I by Jon Guttman, ISBN 1 84176 222 9, and

SPAD XII/XIII Aces of World War I by Jon Guttman, ISBN 1 84176 316 0.

Although these books are about the aces who flew SPADs, there's quite a bit about the squadrons in which they served.

There are quite a few general books about the RFC and its operations on the Western Front. You could do a lot worse than look at Ralph Barker's A Brief History of the Royal Flying Corps in World War I, ISBN 1 84119 470 0.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

seeing this post now it makes sense !