Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit Text

Roy Evans

I am researching Joseph Ewart Lymn Able Seaman 218307 (RFR/PO/B/3305) R.N. H.M.S "Good Hope."

According to the CWGC site "(RFR/PO/B/3305) H.M.S "Good Hope" is the Unit Text.

Can anyone give me an idea as to what this means? I know that the Good Hope was his ship but what about the preceeding letters/numbers?

Roy

Roy

This refers to his RFR (Royal Fleet Reserve) number. I've come across this before - when you look at his service record you'll find that he left the RN and joined the RFR. He would then have been given another number.

Michael

The number refers to Portsmouth RFR and his number would be B3305

Edited by Michael

Roy

I am also researching a local man who was lost with 'Good Hope,' who was also a reservist [RFR/PO/B/4885]. His naval service record shows that he had served twelve years and went to the reserve on 5/1/12. He was then back again on 'Good Hope' on 13th July 1914. I have been told, although I am open to correction, that my sailor, Alfred Dawkins, would have been called that summer, with many others, for his annual training commitment, and then, in anticipation of the war, retained for the Spithead review, and in his case never to go home again. I have searched the local papers, and found that the casualty lists for men of 'Good Hope' were not issued for many weeks after the loss, but did find a letter from a local officer on the ship, a Lieutenant French, written on 12th October 1914, shortly before they left Port Stanley to 'meet the Germans.' It gives some idea of how the crew were feeling, and if it is of any interest to you please let me know and I'll send a copy.

Regards - Sue

Michael and Sue,

Many thanks, this is my first navy man and I only started looking for him this morning. He is one of eight men commemorated in my local church and I am trying to get a potted history of each of them for the church magazine. Too late for Armistice Day this year but I should have enough for next year.

Sue, I’d love a look at the letter – can you scan and e-mail it?

Roy

I have two men on my local war memorial who went down with HMS Good Hope. RMA/5645 Sergeant Arthur Robert Beauchamp, Royal Marine Artillery and 212013 Able Seaman Lewis Lionel Pilbeam.

HMS Good Hope was 90% manned reservists only recently called up and was sunk by the Scharnhorst around 2000 hours on 1 November 1914. HMS Monmouth was sunk in the same engagement, 1500 men lost their lives.

Sue - could I be cheeky and ask for a copy as well? B)

Sue/Roy

There is an interesting paragraph from a letter written by Beatty, Admiral of the Fleet, to his wife, regarding the loss of the Good Hope and the Monmouth. Let me know if you have not seen it and I will send you a copy.

Myrtle

Sue/Roy

There is an interesting paragraph from a letter written by Beatty, Admiral of the Fleet, to his wife, regarding the loss of the Good Hope and the Monmouth. Let me know if you have not seen it and I will send you a copy.

Myrtle

No I havn't seen it, a copy would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Roy :rolleyes:

Recently finished reading the 'Gallipoli, 1925' by Joseph Murray of the Hood Bn. His brother Thomas Murray, [sS/102034, Stoker 1st Class] was also reservist on the Good Hope having served previously on the ship under Sir Percy Scott.

He writes "We had all thought that Tom was thousands of miles from danger, and were pleased he was in the Good Hope"

Not posting the casualty lists for those weeks must have played havoc with the families, as he later writes,

"For the moment I had temporary consolation. Mother did not know of the disaster and maybe there would be better news later on. Maybe the Good Hope had landed observation parties before the battle on some of the many remote islands. Maybe the germans had picked up these observation parties or perhaps a few survivors. It might be months before we knew for certain; we must wait and hope for the best. I had the feeing that Tom was not dead; it was so strong that I would have told Mother. So uncanny was the feeling that it was difficult to explain, but good news would come."

Thomas Murray is commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial.

I too would like to see any letters, if they can be scanned in and emailed,

thanks....Ian.

• 9 months later...
Guest sophie999

Hi Sue

I am also researching an able seaman who went down with HMS Good Hope in Nov 1914. His name was Arthur Morris. Is there any chance you could email me a copy of that letter please?

Much appreciated

Sophie