Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Camp Nr Ripley (Yorks)? When? what? who?

4thGordons

I just rediscovered a photo I had forgotten about. It is rather battered (but I will try photoshopping it) but I thought it might be of interest and would like to hear suggestion about the date/location/group-unit depicted. At the bottom left of the photo are the photographers details (insofar as I can read it accurately) "A.Workshop & Co, 76 Harwood Avenue, Ripley Yorks" I am especially interested in comments on the date because of what appeared to me to be an odd mix of equipment / uniforms. P1914 leather equipment, Pattern 14 rifles (most - one SMLE), and Brodie helmets. Unfortunatley I have no provenance for this it was rediscoverd amongst stuff I picked up years ago. Higher resolution scans available if anyone is interested.

Just thought then Gordons. Photo is most probably of either North or South Camp at Ripon. Ripley is very close, and yes, it is North Yorkshire.

Regards, Chris.

4thGordon,

Probably Strensall Camp, Yorks ended up there on a few occassions while in the T.A.. Higher resolution would be great as I think they're Northumberland Fusiliers, probably 2nd Line Territorials.

Graham.

Chris,

Didn't know where Ripley was, thought it was a district of York City. If North or South Camp, Ripon could still be NF and recently had a post where a lady's great grandfather was there with the 4th(Reserve)Bn,NF, which fortunately he signed.

Graham.

Graham.

Ripley is only 2 miles down the road from Ripon, and, with an influx of over 30,000 Troops at one time, must have been one H**l of a place!

I do believe Ripon was designated by the War Office in 1914 for the construction of the afore mentioned.

Regards, Chris.

A couple of detail images. I will put high res files up online tomorrow and provide a link as I am not sure how big a file is allowed as an attachment here.

Thanks for all the info.

If you would like the files emailed to you just PM me with an address.

Chris (4th Gordons)

Photographers stamp

Well at least we now know they're Royal Fusiliers, or better probably 53rd(Young Soldier)Bn,R.F., who had previously been 104th Young Soldier Bn, Training Reserve. References only mention these units being at Catterick, Yorks, but it could also include Camps within the administrative sphere of Catterick Garrison. I recently discovered through another post that No.8 Coy,4th(Reserve)Bn, N/land Fusiliers were stationed at Ripon based upon a noted photograph, yet all references only record Catterick as their base.

Graham.

Could be Shipley, good point.

Problem - photographers are known to have travelled reasonably widely in West Yorks. e.g. Stephenson from Otley travelled all the way down to the 49th Div. concentration area at Doncaster to photograph the artillery at the race course. I've then often seen his photos erroneously identified as being 'somewhere in Otley'.

This problem may be 'solved' by the observation that groups of photographers seem to have 'carved up' camps and areas and appear to have stayed within those areas.

A note of caution really if nothing else.

I just rediscovered a photo I had forgotten about. It is rather battered (but I will try photoshopping it) but I thought it might be of interest and would like to hear suggestion about the date/location/group-unit depicted. At the bottom left of the photo are the photographers details (insofar as I can read it accurately) "A.Workshop & Co, 76 Harwood Avenue, Ripley Yorks" I am especially interested in comments on the date because of what appeared to me to be an odd mix of equipment / uniforms. P1914 leather equipment, Pattern 14 rifles (most - one SMLE), and Brodie helmets. Unfortunatley I have no provenance for this it was rediscoverd amongst stuff I picked up years ago. Higher resolution scans available if anyone is interested.

Hello,

Over the past several years I have been attempting to locate the German POW camp that my Grandfather and father were in during the First World War.

My Grandfather was conscripted into the Russian Army and captured by the Germans. He was sent to a German Camp near Berlin.

I sent an inquiry to the ICRC for missing persons and POWs in Geneva over two years ago without any news.

My Grandfather was Avraham Czerwin (Abram Chervin the name was spelled various ways). Me was born in Vilna (Vilius).

I know there are Red Cross records for my Grandafther because My Dad, Jacob Chervin (later changed to Cherlin) as a boy was searching for Avraham. Jacob was shot in the leg, picked up by the Red Cross, treated and reunited with Avraham at the POW camp. The Red Cross was able to locate Avraham during wartime but has not been able of find those same records now. I'm convinced they exist.

Is there anywhere online or an agency or organization that has a POW database or search ability?

Thanks,

Stew Cherlin