Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

October 1918

withcall

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good information about what happened prior to the liberation of Lille in October 1918.? How long before the liberation did the Germans withdraw? Also, vaguely related to this, am I right in thinking that British troops never actually 'took' the Fromelles/Aubers sector? I've seen Australian photos behind the German lines dated November 11th, which seems to imply that the Germans held their ground right to the end. Any help on either topic will be much appreciated.

Also, vaguely related to this, am I right in thinking that British troops never actually 'took' the Fromelles/Aubers sector?

I don't think that you are right. I think that the entire front line was effectively rolled back by the British, Belgiums, French and Americans during the Hundred Days offensive.

Jon :)

The people at the Fort Seclin Museum might be able to help you.

The 8th King's Liverpools (Liverpool Irish) were filmed and photographed marching through the town, photos of children marching alongside them frequently appear as book jackets etc.

Regards

Simon

The history of the 47th Division suggests that they did not "take" Aubers Ridge " the Germans were retreating fast,".... "the operation in which we now took part was not of an urgent nature, but it was intended to keep in touch with the enemy....to prevent his thinning out his line...." "The Aubers Ridge, which now fell so easily into our hands, had been the object of costly attacks since 1914...." "we could examine at leisure the belts of barbed wire, breatworks and trenches, strong pill boxes along the trench or built into farmhouses..." later, following the 57th Division, "we were able to march straight on to Lille"

Doesn't look like the Germans held on to the last man.....(for once) Peter