Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Edward Hennessy

JoanHunter

I've been researching my family history and came across 2 great uncles who both died in WW1. One, Edward Hennessey is proving very hard to find information on, I've searched all the obvious links and only discovered he served with the 22nd Bn of the Northumberland Fusiliers and he died on 1st July 1916. If anyone could give me more informaton on where I can find out some further details about him I'd be eternally gratefull i.e. how and where he died. While finding information on him has been difficult I found that finding information on his brother (who served with the Australian Infanty) has been remarkable easy, including finding the original Red Cross Missing or Wounded in Action report (reporting how he died after saving his captain), his Attestation paper (photograph) and embarkation list detailing when he was sent to Europe and on what ship he sailed. Why can't searching for our British soldiers be so easy?

22nd battalion Northumberland Fusiliers, 3rd Tyneside Scottish attacked south of La Boiselle at 7-30am on July 1st 1916 suffering very heavy casualties.

Bob.

22nd battalion Northumberland Fusiliers, 3rd Tyneside Scottish attacked south of La Boiselle at 7-30am on July 1st 1916 suffering very heavy casualties.

Bob.

Thanks for that bit of information, now at least I have an idea of where he died and will try and research it more.

Joan, try getting hold of the book 'The Tyneside Scottish', wrote by one of our forum members Graham Steward.

John

Thanks! I have seen this book mentioned on the forum a few times but as yet have been able to find anywhere that has a copy, I will keep looking though.

Joan,

The only information I have on him is;- 22/1124 Pte Edward Hennessey was born and living and enlisted in Ashington. He was serving with 'C' Company, 22nd Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(3rd Tyneside Scottish) at the time of his death on the Somme on 1st July 1916. He has no known grave and is commemorated on Thiepval Memorial and was posted as "Missing 1/7/1916" in the Red Cross Enquiry List, but this wasn't relayed to St.Georges Gazette(the Rgimental Journal) until October 1916.

It is possible a photo of him may be found in one of the local newspapers, particularly the Illustrated Chronicle, whose centre pages are full of small photo's of North Eastern casualties.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, I think I'll have to pay a visit to Newcastle central library to see if there was a photo of him in the illustrated chronicle.

Joan

Joan

Newcastle Central Library is closing for redevelpoment (for 3 years I believe) and the volumes of the Illustrated Chronicle are part of the collection that have temporarily been moved to the Civic Centre and can be viewed there.

Regards

Pam

• 3 weeks later...
Joan,

The only information I have on him is;- 22/1124 Pte Edward Hennessey was born and living and enlisted in Ashington. He was serving with 'C' Company, 22nd Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(3rd Tyneside Scottish) at the time of his death on the Somme on 1st July 1916. He has no known grave and is commemorated on Thiepval Memorial and was posted as "Missing 1/7/1916" in the Red Cross Enquiry List, but this wasn't relayed to St.Georges Gazette(the Rgimental Journal) until October 1916.

It is possible a photo of him may be found in one of the local newspapers, particularly the Illustrated Chronicle, whose centre pages are full of small photo's of North Eastern casualties.

Graham.

I've managed to get hold of a copy of The Tyneside Scottish from Waterstones, but can anyone tell me (it's probably mentioned somewhere in the book and I've missed it) where the photograph is on the back outside cover?

Joan,

I'm sure it's Eldon Square as it was and the monument can still be seen to this day, despite being surounded by the Shopping Precinct.

Graham.

• 1 month later...
Joan,

I'm sure it's Eldon Square as it was and the monument can still be seen to this day, despite being surounded by the Shopping Precinct.

Graham.

Graham, if you're around, could you explain something mentioned in your book. I've found another relative cpl George Beresford 21/908 who died 03/05/17 the entry in your book adds 'North Evington Hosp Leicester 11/7/16 (nephew of my great uncle mentioned earlier) does this mean he returned to action after his spell in hospital?

Joan,

Yes. Once he was declared fit from intial wounding he would have been undergone some form of recuperative training at home before being posted back to his unit, unless of course he was unlucky and transferred to another battalion/regiment.

Graham.