Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FSL Hubert Walter Lester RNAS

stevenbecker

Mates,

Are you aware of any details on this RNAS officer,

Hubert Walter Lester

He had served with the 10th ALHR on Gallipoli untill shot in the chest at the battle of Hill 60 and sent to hosp in the UK and disch in March 1916 in the UK with the bullet still near his heart.

There is a note in his service records about later serving with the RNAS as Flt Sub Lt but no other details?

He came from Perth WA with his NOK living in Southwell UK.

Can you help with some details on his service in the RNAS

Cheers

S.B

• 1 month later...
Mates,

Are you aware of any details on this RNAS officer,

Hubert Walter Lester

He had served with the 10th ALHR on Gallipoli untill shot in the chest at the battle of Hill 60 and sent to hosp in the UK and disch in March 1916 in the UK with the bullet still near his heart.

There is a note in his service records about later serving with the RNAS as Flt Sub Lt but no other details?

He came from Perth WA with his NOK living in Southwell UK.

Can you help with some details on his service in the RNAS

Cheers

S.B

G'day Steve,

Sorry mate, I have just seen this thread. I have him listed as one of my Aussie RNAS blokes but I only have his Light Horse history. I am hopefully seeing Mark Lax in the next week or so, and hemay know of his service. I will let you know what I dig up.

To all sorry I haven't responded to any emails,I had a catastrophic hard drive failure, and my ISP timed outmany emails, so if you have sent me anything in the last 8 weeks or so please resend it as I probably did not get it.

Regards,

Andrew.

To all sorry I haven't responded to any emails,I had a catastrophic hard drive failure

Andrew mate,

you know better than that! A 250G USB external drive for back ups is only about 50 to 60 GBP now! There is also software available that will recover most of the data off a crashed drive (as long as the drive still spins of course) - pm me if you want details.

I'll see what I have on Lester later this morning.

mike

Right, checked from January 1917 to March 31st 1918 (which seems reasonable if he was seriously wounded in 1915/16. There is a GW Lester, but no HW Lester I'm afraid. I suppose he could have been with the RNAS between his discharge from hospital until the end of 1916 but I have limited resources for checking that at home.

Andrew mate,

you know better than that! A 250G USB external drive for back ups is only about 50 to 60 GBP now! There is also software available that will recover most of the data off a crashed drive (as long as the drive still spins of course) - pm me if you want details.

I'll see what I have on Lester later this morning.

mike

Mike,

I was smarter this time, I had everything backed up except for my emails so if you could email me so I have your address. I have tracked down a photo of Holyman by the way,did you ever find one??

Thanks for looking up the info on Lester, I am starting to wonder if he was RNVR.

Andrew

Andrew,

yes please to the shot of Holyman, I did finally get hold of a copy whilst he was with No.3 Wing at Luxeiul. It's a poor shot but I was forced to use it in the Naval 6 Book which has been available since August.

Manicafan will know if Lester was RNVR.

Mike

Andrew,

yes please to the shot of Holyman, I did finally get hold of a copy whilst he was with No.3 Wing at Luxeiul. It's a poor shot but I was forced to use it in the Naval 6 Book which has been available since August.

Manicafan will know if Lester was RNVR.

Mike

Hi

Hubert Walter Lester,

Appointed Probationary Fligt Officer 5th November 1917

At Roehampton February 1918

Commission terminated12th March 1918

However I have a further snippet as placed on the unemployed list 05Jun1921

I can't explain that

Regards Duncan

Mates,

Thanks for the details, I would think considering his wounding and discharge with a bullet still near his heart that his jobs may have been more on the admin side then flying?

Cheers

S.B

Roehampton was the main Kite Balloon base, more sedate than flying, but still demanding. There are lists of allocations for Kite balloon officers, search the forum for some references I've listed earlier.

Thanks Mate,

Did the RNAS have a Kite balloon unit?

Cheers

S.B