Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

East Yorkshire Regiment

Colin Fleming

I've been in touch with The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire Museum who advise me that they can carry out research on my behalf for a small donation.

I am interested to discover the date my great uncle L/Cpl Richard Dearing joined the East Yorkshire Reg.

The Curator told me that whilst he could research the details of where he served it is unlikely he could find his date of joining (I assume he would be searching the 7th Battalion Diaries).

I've downloaded his medal card and there are a couple of things I don't understand.

A table with the words 'Victory' 'British' and what looks like '15 Star'

Qualifying Date 13.7.15. (Will this give me a clue as to the date he joined?)

I would appreciate it if anybody can help.

Colin

There are two major sources for enlistment dates:

- The Service Records stored at the National Archives (70% of which were lost in the Blitz)

- Records for the Silver War Badge (SWB) which give exact dates of enlistment for men discharged early.

From these records some researchers are able to build up a good idea of when an individual number would have been issued, as most were issued in sequence.

The table you refer to shows L/cpl Dearings entitlement to medals - the Victory Medal and British War Medals were campaign medals awarded to all men who served in an active theatre of war between 1914 - 1918, regardless of length of time overseas.

The 1914-15 Star was awarded to men who served overseas before 31-12-1915 and did not qualify for the earlier 1914 Star.

The qualifying date refers to the day that the soldier set foot in the theatre of war.

He would have had a period of training before this date (at least 5-6 months at this point of the War) and also may have had to wait longer for his battalion to ready fo overseas service.

Whilst I have not researched the East Yorkshire Regiment myself, I would say that this number (12168) probably relates to the early days of the War (August-September 1914).

The date he went overseas conicides with the dates that 17th Division went overseas, the Division to which the 7th east Yorks belonged.

http://www.1914-1918.net/17div.htm

Steve.

There are two major sources for enlistment dates:

- The Service Records stored at the National Archives (70% of which were lost in the Blitz)

- Records for the Silver War Badge (SWB) which give exact dates of enlistment for men discharged early.

From these records some researchers are able to build up a good idea of when an individual number would have been issued, as most were issued in sequence.

The table you refer to shows L/cpl Dearings entitlement to medals - the Victory Medal and British War Medals were campaign medals awarded to all men who served in an active theatre of war between 1914 - 1918, regardless of length of time overseas.

The 1914-15 Star was awarded to men who served overseas before 31-12-1915 and did not qualify for the earlier 1914 Star.

The qualifying date refers to the day that the soldier set foot in the theatre of war.

He would have had a period of training before this date (at least 5-6 months at this point of the War) and also may have had to wait longer for his battalion to ready fo overseas service.

Whilst I have not researched the East Yorkshire Regiment myself, I would say that this number (12168) probably relates to the early days of the War (August-September 1914).

The date he went overseas conicides with the dates that 17th Division went overseas, the Division to which the 7th east Yorks belonged.

http://www.1914-1918.net/17div.htm

Steve.

Steve

Many thanks for that extremely useful information. It seems he must have joined around September 1914, I know that he died on 24th August 1918, 88years ago tomorrow.

Once again many thanks

Colin

Colin,

12168 L/Cpl Richard DEARING

7th Bn EYR

Born Hessle

Enlisted Hull

Residence Hessle

KIA 24/08/1918

Buried MILL ROAD CEMETERY, THIEPVAL Country: France

Regards Charles