Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

100 British WW1 shells found near Mauberge

Hedley Malloch

According to a report in today's 'La Voix du Nord' more than 100 British WW1 80 mm shells have been found in a field near Mauberge. They were found in near perfect condition 'lined up like sardines in a tin'. Seven were found in August; the local authority put a security cordon around them and called in the bomb squad. They turned up last Wednesday (!), had a little dig around and found another 93. The whole lot, weighing about one ton, was placed on the back of a lorry and taken to Arras.

It's not the first time that this field has yielded an 'iron harvest'. Two years ago four similar shells were found there.

Hedley.

Given the facts that the shells were 'lined up like sardines in a tin', combined with the fact that others have been found in the field, i would guess it is likely that this location must have been used as a ammo dump at some point. Do you know if this is the case?

Chris

Chris,

No, I don't know. One reading of it is:

1. The shells were found in Mauberge. They are British. Therefore we are looking to either the first or the last few days of the war. A look at the headstamps would help here.

2. They are small calibre, probably field artillery, and all of the same type. Are we looking at a 'dump' for a battery, or possibly one gun?

3. They were left in good order. This could suggest that they were abandoned in a hurry.

This could mean that they are a remnant of '14 rather than '18; they were left behind in the retreat to the Marne. But that's just a guess - and your guess is as good (or even better) than/as mine, Chris.

The only other piece of information I have is that they were found in an area of Mauberge known as Vieux Mesnil. That name might ring a bell with artilllery buffs.

Regards