Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Able Seaman to RASC

HelenV

Hi

I don't know if this likey or possible or whether it has anything to do with his age?

My ggrandfather was in the RASC and then RE duing WW1, but in the 1901 census he seemed to be an able seaman aboard a navy ship in the Bahamas.

In 1901 he would have been 26 and when he entered France in his 'theatre of war' in 1914 he was 39 - is it possible he was too old to go back in the Navy and he joined the Army instead?

Any help much appreciated.

HelenV

Its certainly possible, if he was time expired from the navy and they did not require him from the reserves he may well have volunteered or for that matter and if he entered fronce in 1914 was either a territorial or was in the Army full time. . Post his name and number and the pals may well be able to give you far more specific answers. gareth

HelenV, If your GGF was 26 in 1901, he was born in 1875. He could have joined the Navy at any time between about 1890 and 1900 but his 'time' would not have started until his 18th birthday (1893). If he served the normal 12 years limited engagement from 18, he would have left the Navy in 1905 and would then have been expected to join the Royal Fleet Reserve. He would not have been too old to be called up from the RFR in 1914. However, he may have been invalided out earlier, or he may have been discharged by purchase, in which case he probably would not have joined the RFR. If not called up by the Navy he had the option of volunteering in 1914 for Navy or Army and it looks as though he chose the Army (no conscription in 1914).

H2

HelenV, If your GGF was 26 in 1901, he was born in 1875. He could have joined the Navy at any time between about 1890 and 1900 but his 'time' would not have started until his 18th birthday (1893). If he served the normal 12 years limited engagement from 18, he would have left the Navy in 1905 and would then have been expected to join the Royal Fleet Reserve. He would not have been too old to be called up from the RFR in 1914. However, he may have been invalided out earlier, or he may have been discharged by purchase, in which case he probably would not have joined the RFR. If not called up by the Navy he had the option of volunteering in 1914 for Navy or Army and it looks as though he chose the Army (no conscription in 1914).

H2

Did service as a boy (14-18) count towards the 12 service period?

Did you also know that officers' service (for purposes of pension, etc) only counts from the age of 21 - even if they joined as 13-year-old cadets? 8 years service to the Crown for free!

H2

Thank you all for your help.

I noted Horatio2 mentioned pensions etc and it made me remember another of my queries that you maybe be able to help me with.

It seems ggrandfather was married before he met ggrandmother - this wife died in 1911. He was living with ggrandmother but never seemed to marry her!! Their first two children birth certificates has her name correctly - the third child's born in 1915 she is using her proper first name and ggrandfather's deceased wife's maiden name - when the fourth child is born 1918 she is completely using ggrandfather's deceased wife's name first middle and maiden name - I'm assumming she is lying to receive some sort of army pay/pension - any thoughts???

HelenV