Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI - Aussie Labourers in England

donnadunlop

I need suggestions where I could find info on where the war industries were, especially in Chadderton/Oldham during WWI.

I have been researching my Grandfather who volunteered to work in England. He had to undergo a medical exam to prove he was physically fit for "heavy manual labour" - he was rejected by AIF due to defective eyesight earlier but accepted in 1917 when they weren't so fussy! He was sent to Liverpool firstly, to work for Trollope & Colls I presume in their aircraft factory in Pleasant St as his lodgings were close by. He was then transferred to Oldham, (lodgings in Denton Lane, Chadderton).

I am desperate to find out what kind of war industry was happening in Oldham at this time. Can anyone help me? Local historical societies have no idea.

Thanks. :D

The Australian War Workers are mentioned in Australia During the War by Ernest Scott, Volume XI of The Official History of Australia in the War of 1914-1918. See pages 266-276 in Chapter VII The Equipment of Armies at http://awm.gov.au/histories/ww1/11/index.asp

Some 6000 Australian artisans and unskilled labourers worked on war projects in the UK and in France. As well as workers recruited for the task in Australia, their numbers included soldiers who were discharged from the AIF in the UK as being physically unfit, and who elected to remain in Europe and do war work.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Dolphin

Thank you very much for your help. I will check out this book. I generally found the AWM are not very helpful and the National Archives are worse. I found a few paragraphs about these workers on their site when I was just trying every button available. When I spoke to someone in person they could not answer one question and only said I was lucky to even have my grandfather's file at all. I am shocked that they are not officially recognised anywhere. I suppose in perspective with the sacrifices so many others made their contribution wasn' worth recording.

Thanks again.

Donna :D