Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What age was the oldest casualty in WW1 ?

Guest calcaria

Guest geoff501
There are seven!

Continuing the hijack, from post #15

Number 8:

Name: DUNCAN, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit Text: Howe Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death: 08/05/1915

Service No: Tyneside Z/2823

Additional information: Son of James and Jean Duncan, of Knowefield Cottage, Stanwix, Carlisle. He received a Life-saving Certificate from the Royal Humane Society at the age of 12.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 8 to 15.

Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL

We tend to think of youngsters pretending to be older to get into the forces but it must have happened in reverse also - older men shaving off a few years to get accepted!

Someone who went to great lengths (but never quite made it) was Lieut.-Col. C.H.Darbishire, owner of the Penmaenmawr Granite Quarries on the North Wales coast, and the Chairman of the local Caernarfonshire Territorial Force Association.

Aged 70, he managed to sail out to Egypt fairly early in the War and there purchased a Private's uniform and kit. Arrayed in these he tried to blend into the background of some unit, but his imposture was quickly detected and he was sent home to serve his country in a more suitable capacity.

LST_164

• 1 year later...

Saw Webber's headstone last weekend, and noted that it has been altered since Scotties photo. It has had the 8 altered to show a 7, what new information has come to light for the CWGC to do this ?

Mick

Saw Webber's headstone last weekend, and noted that it has been altered since Scotties photo. It has had the 8 altered to show a 7, what new information has come to light for the CWGC to do this ?

Mick

His CWGC entry also gives his age as 67. I don't know if this is also a recent alteration. Did it say 68 previously (on the website, I mean)?

Tom

Yes Tom, I've seen photo's with the 68 shown on the headstone, and mentioned in several books, although I must admit I've never searched the CWCG database, so I cannot date the alteration !

Mick

• 5 years later...

Hi Dave,

Not the oldest but a relative of mine, John Armstrong Courtie No. 22104 (born in Liverpool 1853) of the Kings Liverpool Regiment who died on 2 October 1915 aged 62 is my grandfathers uncle and is buried in Swansea Cemetery (CWGC ref). I am still looking into his records.

Regards,

Norman

Hi Norman, I came across your thread re JA Courtie whilst conducting my family research. John is my Great Grandfather - Private John Armstrong Courtie born Maryport Cumbria 1853, moved to Liverpool when he was a child. He was a professional soldier and reached the rank of Sergeant. Then worked on Liverpool Docks as a Carter / Rubber Porter( family story says he was a Professional Recruiting Sergeant.)

I have a picture of him c -1900 in his army uniform with 3 stripes, along with his two youngest children, Margaret and David. Following the death of his wife Judith in 1914, he moved house to live with one his married daughters, along with his youngest daughter my Gran; Margaret. He then joins the 3rd Battalion, Liverpool Kings Regiment in early 1915, says he is 49 yaers when he is actually 62 years of age! Must of used the old pals network. He was found dead in his Swansea barracks and there followed an inquiry. I understand the 3rd Battalion were due to embark to Ireland ( the family story went like this 'He died with his boots on in Ireland') how wrong.

I am now attempting to trace his early army career, however, to date I have not managed to pick up any trace or clues.

Dave

This chap was not a battle casualty, but died overseas on service at the age of 82 and is listed by CWGC

post-21979-0-87656400-1412539391_thumb.j

This chap one must be amongst of the oldest battle casualties?

Sgt. Auguste Jeannin was born at Bordeaux on 4th June 1846. Part of the 'Class of 1866', he first saw limited military service over the winter of 1866/67 before being remobilised in July 1870. During the Franco-German War of 1870 -71, he saw action at the Battles of Orleans and Le Mans, Living at 18, rue Paul Bert, Roanne, Loire by the time of the outbreak of the Great War,he voluntarily enlisted in August 1914 and was later sent to the 175e RI with whom he was to see service at Gallipoli as from May 1915. He was killed in action by Turkish shelling near Sedd ul Bahr on 25th June 1915 at the age of 69 years and 21 days.

Dave

post-357-0-51664000-1412547970_thumb.jpg