The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Whats to see at LOOS.

mwsmith

I'm going to Loos in next month. What is there to see? Are there any remaining trench systems. Is it possible to get a view of the battlefield by walking on the Double Crassier.

Also does anyone know the exact location of The Triangle in relation to chalk Pit and Double Crassier?

Any help much appreciated. If anyone wants photos while I am there please tellme.

Mike

Mike,

I'm not sure if there are any trenches remaining, and also I don't think you can get onto the double Crassier. However, a good view of the battlefield can be obtained at Dud Corner, where you can climb the steps at the front of the cemetery to get a height advantage.

What to see....John Kipling's name still inscribed at Dud Corner, although a grave bears his name now at St. Marys ADS Cemetery. The latter is also worth a visit, along with Bois Carre and Ninth Avenue cemeteries nearby.

Quarry Cemetery near Vermelles is an unusual cemetery, and you can also visit the site of the Hohenzollern Redoubt (near Cite St. Elise) - now a rubbish tip!

Have you had a look at Niall Cherry's Most Unfavourable Ground? Not a battlefield guide, but a very comprehensive book on the battle itself.

Alan

Thanks for the info Alan. I will try to get a copy of Niall Cherry's book.

Regards Mike

I think that the best view of a major part of the battlefield is from the site of the Hohenzollern Redoubt. It gives you an idea of the task the faced the British in attempting to attack across what is in effect a landscape as flat as a billiard table. It also gives you an appreciation of the genius of German engineers in siting the defensive position where they did.

Andy

Mike,

I believe that you might be able to access the Double Crassier, best to talk to Isabel at the museum in town. Mad Point is also worth visiting, as Max says it gives you a good idea if the landscape leading up to the Hohenzollern. As Max he pointed out the Hohenzollern is a must to see.

If you can access the Double Crassier at this time ofyear you can still see a lot of the trench works around that area after the fields have been ploughed. Dud Corner, as already mentioned, gives a good view also.

Andy

Mike.

I have been half way up the Double Crassier on a coach tour but I seem to remember locals using the area as well so I am sure you can get up there.

There is also a small but interesting museum there although it is not open all the time. For opening times etc I suggest you contact them directly - their details are near the bottom of this page. I am sure they can clarify the situation regarding the Crassier as well.

Neil

Mad Point looking over to the Hohenzollern

post-1871-1156285919.jpg

One View from Dud Corner

Great photos Stiletto. I will be in the area on 7th September. Thanks again.

Mike

I'm going to Loos in next month. What is there to see? Are there any remaining trench systems. Is it possible to get a view of the battlefield by walking on the Double Crassier.

Also does anyone know the exact location of The Triangle in relation to chalk Pit and Double Crassier?

Any help much appreciated. If anyone wants photos while I am there please tellme.

Mike

Bonjour

see the link for information

http://perso.orange.fr/asso.sltdlgg/index.htm

gilles