Source: AWM145 Roll of Honour cards, 1914-1918 War, Army

Coppin, James Herdman

Service Number: 1408

Unit: 1st Bn

Service: Army

Honour / Award: Military Medal

Date of London Gazette: 13 November 1918, page 13401, position 7

Date of Commonwealth of Australia Gazette: 14 March 1919, page 421, position 21

Is there any way of finding the information regarding how he obtained his MM from the London Gazette or Commonwealth of Australia Gazette please?

Cheers, Diane

Diane

Not sure if you are aware but his service record (72 pages) are available online

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Items_list...mp;T=I&C=31

Sorry - haven't got time to read it all at the minute.

Glyn

Edit - The link won't work - just login again as a guest and search for coppin 1914-1918

Diane

That link does not seem to work - Well worth going to the naa site and searchng yourself.

But in the meantime -

Glyn

Did you also realise he was a casualty ?

post-5500-1156192319.jpg

Not sure if you are aware but his service record (72 pages)

Thank you Glyn, I didn't realise his war record was online. The only information I had on him previously is what I found online at the Australian War Museum. Many thanks.

Cheers, Diane

Hi,

Here are the details from the CWGC.

Name: COPPIN, JAMES HERDMAN

Initials: J H

Nationality: Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 23/08/1918

Service No: 1408

Awards: MM

Additional information: Son of James and Grace Coppin, of 5, Parkhill Avenue, Mornington, Dunedin, New Zealand. Native of Geraldine, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. A. 17.

Cemetery: DAOURS COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

regards Aaron.

James also had a brother John, killed at Gallipoli

COPPIN, Private, JOHN, 8/1440. Otago Regiment, N.Z.E.F.. Killed in action 16th June 1915. Age 25. Son of James and Grace Coppin, of Dunedin, New Zealand. III. C. 11.

James also had a brother John, killed at Gallipoli

Hi Christine,

It was a bit of a mystery to our group as to why both brothers having been born in Geraldine are remembered on the Levin Cenotaph. The name hasn't survived locally. It seems another brother and 4 of their sisters lived here and their father retired to Levin. We have sourced photos of both men in their uniforms.

Cheers, Diane

Here are the details from the CWGC.

Thanks Aaron,

Wouldn't it be great if NZ had followed Australia's lead and put all the WW1 records online.

Cheers, Diane

James Herdman Coppin attended Levin School in 1907, having transferred from Petone.

John Coppin attended Petone Central in 1899, having transferred from Horokiwi, then left for Christchurch. In 1900 he is back at Petone.

-NZSG CD4

-NZSG CD4

Thank you Christine, :D

I hate that CD4 with all the "suppressed" information and hate to admit that I didn't even look at it. Honestly I very rarely ever use it which is bad of me.

Cheers, Diane

Citations are available from the AWM's biographical data base - Honours and Awards (Recommendations First World War).

There are two for the MM awarded to 1408 Sergeant James Herdman Coppin.

South of Strazeele, on the morning of the 11th July 1918, this N.C.O. went out on patrol in front of our lines. With a party of three men he skilfully reconnoitred enemy positions, and finding them off the alert he promptly returned with information. That it was both valuable and reliable is proved by what followed. On orders to exploit the success being received, he accompanied the officer, and with a small party took a leading part in the capture of about 10 enemy posts, together with their garrison, totalling 25 other ranks and 3 machine guns. He displayed great courage and initiative, and his example meant a great deal to the success of the enterprise. He has always done fine work.

Recommended Brigadier-General

Commanding 1st Aust. Inf. Bde

Near Strazeele, on the morning of the 11th July 1918, Sergeant COPPIN with a party of three skilfully reconnoitred enemy positions, and finding the enemy off the alert he promptly returned with information. On orders to exploit the fact being received he accompanied the Officer and with a small party took a leading part in the capture of about 10 enemy posts, together with their garrison, totalling 25 other ranks and 3 machine guns. He displayed great courage and initiative, and his example did much towards the success of the enterprise.

Major-General

Commanding 1st Australian Division

Citations are available from the AWM's biographical data base - Honours and Awards (Recommendations First World War).

There are two for the MM awarded to 1408 Sergeant James Herdman Coppin.

Thank you very much ceebee for finding that information for me. I never realised it was on that site.

Cheers, Diane