Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

I have an old Scarlet Drummers Tunic which is named and dated inside- PLY14423 H Wright, Issued 17.5.10. How can I find out more about H Wright? All the buttons and collar and shoulder titles have been removed, can anyone tell me what type of Button and collar badge they wore at this time?

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart, You can obtain a copy of his Record of Service from TNA. The Fleet Air Arm Museum archive has a large collection of other Plymouth Division RMLI papers and there is a very good chance that Wright's papers are among them. They could include, among others, his Attestation, discharge documents and Conduct Record Sheets. Check with them on 01935-842628. I would guess he enlisted in about 1904 and he may well have been a 14-year-old bugler. The RM Museum could give you uniform details if there is no expert on this forum.

H2

:) Hello,

Thanks for the advice, I will they the Fleet Air Arm museum and see if his papers are there. I've had this tunic for about 8 years and have always ment to do something with it.

Regards,

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

Harry Wright, whose tunic you have, served in the famous Zeebrugge Raid on St George's Day 1918. He landed on the Mole with 10 Platoon and was taken prisoner. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for his bravery. He later wrote an account of his experiences (see attached). You may be able to get a copy from the RM Museum shop at Eastney, although they sometimes appear on eBay. His medals are at the museum.

I am writing a book on the role of the marines at Zeebrugge and collect anything to do with the raid. Would it be at all possible to get a photo of the tunic, perhaps with a close-up of the name?

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best regards,

Dom

post-1778-1156240789.jpg

My God, that is a big surprize :o ! I think I bought this tunic about 7 years ago in Edinburgh. When I bought it it had some sort of City of London TA buttons on it. I took these of sometime ago, but then began to wonder what are the correct buttons to replace them with? The tunic also bears a Drum badge and a Lance Corporals stripe, these may have been added by the TA soldier.

Of course you can have a photo of the tunic and also of the naming inside. I will try and do that this evening.

Many thanks for your post,

Stewart

Thought you'd be interested! Here's a crop from the photo of 10 Platoon taken the month before the Zeebrugge Raid. I will let you know which of the sergeants is Harry Wright once I've checked my files.

Best.

Dom

post-1778-1156353870.jpg

PS He's the second from left! See below.

Thank you for the photo, I've been cchecking through books to see if I have anything, but have had no luck so far. I've also tried finding his citation on the gazette web site, but as always with that site, I am not haveing any luck, do you know the gazette date of the award?

Which battalion was he in? Does your book on his life mention his pre 1918 service?

Many thanks,

Stewart

PS I am charging the batteries for my camera as we speak, it takes about 8 hours, I will try scanning the name in the tunic, though, as it might come out clearer.

The book does have quite a lot of info about other matters. You should definitely get a copy. He won the DSM with 10 Platoon of the 4th RM Battalion. The London Gazette does not have a citation although I know he won it for his gallantry on the Mole at Zeebrugge and for his actions after it became apparent he and his men would not make it back to HMS Vindictive in time before she pulled away. He was one of a remarkably small number of men who were left behind and made prisoner. Have a look at Colin McKenzie's excellent website for a good account of the raid.

http://www.mckenzie.uk.com/zeebrugge/

Best wishes,

Dom

Hello,

Here is the scan of the stamp from inside the tunic, a photo of the outside of the tunic will follow when I can get my camera to work.

Website looks interesting, will need to have a proper read of it later. Do you know which one he is on the photo you posted of 10 Platoon, or have you not had a chance to check yet?

Regards,

Stewart

post-3488-1156360684.jpg

Right, here's your man Harry Wright, before the raid. Let me have your email address and I'll bung over a full file on him.

Best,

Dom

post-1778-1156361575.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest John Rawlinson
Hello,

I have an old Scarlet Drummers Tunic which is named and dated inside- PLY14423 H Wright, Issued 17.5.10. How can I find out more about H Wright? All the buttons and collar and shoulder titles have been removed, can anyone tell me what type of Button and collar badge they wore at this time?

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart

I'm not sure you ever got an answer to your original question.

Attached is a photo of the missing buttons, the tunic wouldn't have had collar badges but would have had a white embroidered globe and laurel on the shoulder boards.

Regards

John

post-15245-1158777173.jpg

Thank you for the photo, I've been cchecking through books to see if I have anything, but have had no luck so far. I've also tried finding his citation on the gazette web site, but as always with that site, I am not haveing any luck, do you know the gazette date of the award?

Which battalion was he in? Does your book on his life mention his pre 1918 service?

Many thanks,

Stewart

PS I am charging the batteries for my camera as we speak, it takes about 8 hours, I will try scanning the name in the tunic, though, as it might come out clearer.

Stewart

From The Distinguished Service Medal 1914-1920 by W.H.Fevyer

The following additional awards have been approved for services in the operations against Zeebrugge and Ostend on the night of the 22nd-23rd April 1918.

LG 24.5.1919 p6449

Sergt William Henry Taylor, RMLI. No. Ply./11411

Sergt Harry Wright, RMLI, nO. pLY./14423

Hope this is of help

Regards

John

Hello,

Thank you both for the information. There are no badges on the shoulder straps, but then again when I bought the tunic it had City of London TA buttons on it and you can see where it has had TA shoulder titles on the straps. Here are a couple of photo's of the tunic as it is now.

I think it is probable that the L/Cpl strip and drum badge date from it's later service.

Regards,

Stewart

post-3488-1158790343.jpg

post-3488-1158790390.jpg

Guest John Rawlinson

Stewart

The tunic has been altered quite a lot - it isn't actually a Royal Marines drummer's tunic - it's an RMLI 1905 pattern tunic worn by everyone upto the rank of Colour Sergeant.

I guess it has been withdrawn from service and then sold privately and somehow found its way to the TA band who had made considerable alterations.

Attached is a painting of how it should have looked like this when it was worn by Harry Wright

Regards

John

post-15245-1158793273.jpg

Hello,

Thanks for all your help. Looks like when I restore the tunic, it will be to the City of London Regiment Drum Corps. That's a pity since the only name inside is that of the RMLI Sgt with such an interesting history. I think I will still try and get a copy of his story. It is still an interesting item.

I know that after WW1 all the Regular Army Scarlet tunics were held in store and issued out when they were required for special parades etc. A lot of them were very much altered abd used at things like the Aldershot Tattoo etc. I am a bit surprized that they did so much to this tunic, when they must have had hundreds of tunics of the correct pattern that just required a change of buttons and Drummers lace added. The RM tunic has had its cuffs and shoulder straps changed, which is a lot of extra work! The tunic is not even of a large size.

Regards,

Stewart

Guest John Rawlinson

Stewart

Whoops - I sent the wrong file attachment. The cuffs on your tunic are correct for the RMLI 1905 pattern tunic but there shouldn't be any lace.

To take it back to the original state you will need to remove all of the drummers lace, add large buttons down the front, 6 on the back and two small buttons on the shoulder boards - the button are quite common and shouldn't cost more than £1 each. Getting the shoulder boards will be a problem - you don't often see them

Regards

John

Guest John Rawlinson

Stewart

Attached is a picture of the correct pattern RMLI drummers tunic, the lace is navy blue and there has been much debate over the years as to what the design actually is - the most popular expanations are that they are York Roses or the Sun - recalling the first marines' drummers of the Duke of York and Albany's Maritime Regiment of Foot

The more I look at your tunic the more inclined I am to think that it may not have been a drummers tunic originaly - once all of the later drummers lace is removed I suspet that you will have a 1905 pattern RMLI tunic - was Harry Wright ever a drummer boy?

Regards

John R