Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt John Wilkie Leinster Regiment

John Burnett

I have details from CWGC, SNWM and SDGW which state that the date of death for 2nd Lt John Hunter Wilkie of Leinster 1st Bn was 9/4/1915. He was age 40. I found out from papers he joined Scots Guards age 19 he served in South Africa and won DCM. Does anyone have details of how he won award and any details surrounding his death in 1915.

is this him?

468 Sgt J Wilkie - QSA bars Wittebergen, Cape Colony - 2nd Btn SG

Don't know all I have got is the piece from the local papers about his previous service. What does -QSA bars Wittebergen, Cape Colony- mean?

• 1 year later...
Guest Andrew Meldrum
I have details from CWGC, SNWM and SDGW which state that the date of death for 2nd Lt John Hunter Wilkie of Leinster 1st Bn was 9/4/1915. He was age 40. I found out from papers he joined Scots Guards age 19 he served in South Africa and won DCM. Does anyone have details of how he won award and any details surrounding his death in 1915.

John, JHW was my Grandmothers brother. I spent a great deal of time researching his life/death earlier this year. I included in my research a visit to the national archives at Kew England, where I read the regimental diaries written in pencil and beautifully preserved. He is not mentioned in any reference to wounded and killed officers although there are others mentioned around the date of his death. Please contact me for further discussion and information sharing. summit1@pacific.net.au Andrew Meldrum2nd Lt John Wilkie Leinster Regiment