Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Cecil Tatton Tatton RNAS photo album, any information?

mark parker

From what I can see from a little photo album given to my Grandmother, her sister inlaw's brother Cecil served with the RNAS in Russia, although in the front of the album it has this info:

RNAS1.jpg

The photo album shows Commander Locker-Lampson RNAS armoured cars journeying through Russia to Armenia, with an engagement with the Turks on the Mush plain;

RNAS4.jpg

After images of the Mush plain the pictures jump to images of troopships at capetown.

But the 2nd page mentions Cecil being wounded in East Africa, what I'm curious about is was this before or after he went to Russia, and would he have been with the RNAS possibly with armoured cars in E/Africa?

rnas2.jpg

Thanks Mark

If he was in the RNAS, you can trace the disposition of RNAS officers using the National Archives references are in this thread

If he was in the RNAS, you can trace the disposition of RNAS officers using the National Archives references are in this thread

Hi,

Cecil Tatton-Tatton served as a Sub Lt in the RNVR from 19th November 1915 to 21st February 1917.

His commission was terminated on 21st February 1917 on medical grounds

He was serving with the Russian Armoured Car Division by May1916 until January 1917

As far as I am aware he was not mentioned in the only published book on the subject "The Czars British Squadron" B.Perrett & A.Lord. W.Kimber but it would probably be worth a read to give you some background.

Sorry thats all I can tell you.

Regards Duncan

Thanks very much for the info Duncan, I have read what's on this site at; http://www.rnasinrussia.com/index.htm Which gives good information, so that it made much of the photo album make sense, I thought the photos were all out of order because they showed them on ships then on land in Russia then ships in the white sea then Russia again, but that's what they did.

These are some more images from the little album;

RNAS13.jpg

RNAS35.jpg

RNAS26.jpg

Re the RNAS use of armoured cars in East Africa.

No.1 Armoured Car Squadron RNAS, under Lt Comm W Whittall, arrived in SW Africa during April 1915, with 12 cars to help with Botha's campaign. They played a major role in the defence of Trekkopjes on 26 April. After that date they were mainly used for patrols and reconnaissance work. After the surrender of German forces on 9 July, the squadron embarked for England, leaving a section of 4 vehicles, commanded by Lt HG Nalder, to operate in German East Africa.

These are the last pages in Cecils album, that I'm trying to work out, and may not be in sequence; following pictures of Armoured cars in Armenia,

RNAS37.jpg

are these; possibly relating to him being wounded in East Africa?

RNAS39.jpg

RNAS38.jpg

You might be interested in these documents at Kew

ADM 116/1626 British armoured cars in Russia etc.

AIR 1/147/15/64 R.N. armoured cars in Russia, British East Africa, etc.-reports on formation, development and operation of.

AIR 1/666/17/122/734 Report of operations, R.N.A.S.armoured cars in Russia.

AIR 1/1605/204/84/12 Personnel for Russia.

Those searching for ratings

ADM 116/1717 Record of Service Ratings with Russian Armoured Cars