Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineer

Guest lou

Hi to you all,

I'm very green when it comes to forums and almost as green when it comes to trying to find out which company of the Royal Engineers my ancestor was in. His regimental no was 96739 and his name was Sydney Wallace Dillon - not a very common name you must agree :)

I have searched the Medal Rolls and the Burnt Records and found entries in both. I know that he was mentioned in despatches because members of the family remember the certificate he received acknowledging this fact. What I would really like to find is the 'mention' of him. It is believed he saved an Officer's live but how true this is I'm not sure.

Would anyone out there have any idea how I might go forward with this? I'm in the dark at the moment :ph34r:

With very many thanks.

Lou

I have not searched for these sort of entries personally but his MiD would have been listed in the London Gazette although I dont think this would include the details of the award. I think you can now view the London Gazette on-line or its back to the PRO to view their records. If you know what RE company yr ancestor was with then you could search for their war diary, if it exists. If you have the approximate date of the award (would this be on the medal index card?), then that narrows how much of the diary you need to investigate. Whilst it wont necessarily mention yr ancestor it will tell you what was happening with that RE company on that day, although if it was something as notable as saving an officer's life, it might well be in the diary.

Good luck with yr search.

Lou

There are no citations for MID's, although the date of his his London Gazette entry will at least help pinpoint the year. His number covers many units, particularly RE Field Coy's and also Divisional Signal Coy's and even Tunnelling Coy's. If you would like to e-mail me what information you have, I will see if there are any clues that may help.

Terry Reeves