Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

leaving the battlefield (only for5 days)

sabine72

Hello,

I know most of you want to visite the battlefields, and I am going to leave them for a few days

Is there anything on ww1 in the area of bath, I'll be staying there from 24/08/2006 until 29/08/2006.

nice shops where I can find postcards or museums to visite ?

sabine

They have just done up the Roman Baths - costs millions but it looked Very nice on the TV!

Will you have a car?

If so, you are not too far from the Fovant Badges. Nearby Salisbury Plain saw lots of activity, but not sure if anything remains.

There are also the tunnels at Corsham, which were used in WW1 and WW2 for - well lots of things! They are not open to the public though, I fear! I will Google and see if I find anything..... Best I can find is here

I can't think of much in Bath (my parents in law live there), but I am sure someone else will know better than I!

They have just done up the Roman Baths - costs millions but it looked Very nice on the TV!

Don't, I repeat, Don't get the locals started on the cost of this!!!!!

Hello,

Thank you,

yes we have a car and are staying in beckington.

sabine

Sabine, theres bu**er all in bath in particular parking places!, go to Salisbury plain and get shot at by tanks and go to stonehenge. Gareth (ps had a few drinkies tonight)

Hi Sabine, welcome to the BANE's of our life (Bath and North East Somerset) much easier when it was Avon!!

In Bath, Beckington near Frome you are around 5 miles from Farleigh Castle (medieval) and the Kennet and Avon canal, picturesque villages of Castle Combe (Dr Doolittle the original) is 25 miles, Lacock (abbey and Fox Talbot photo museum and film set) 20 miles, the M4 approx 22 miles.

Salisbury the home of the Wiltshire Regt museum the Wardrobe at http://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/main.php3

and around 50 miles away is Gloucester museum of the Glorious Glosters cant find web site but address

Gloucestershire Regt Museum

Custom House

Gloucester Docks

Gloucester

Gloucestershire

GL1 2HE

of course, Salisbury plain is covered with various camps, Larkhall, Bulford, Tilshead Tidworth, has a big military cemetery,Devizes was the recruiting centre for the Army in Wiltshire tho not much history, .

See

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...1&hl=Fovant

for WWI sites of interest in Wiltshire. One needs to know where to look for the old WWI camps at Longbridge Deverill (Sand Hill), Codford and Sutton Veny, but the latter two villages have substantial Commonwealth War Graves; soldiers from these camps used to visit Bath. You might be able to glimpse the WWI balloon hangars at Rollestone (west of Larkhill Camp). Longleat House was a hospital in WWI.

Moonraker

hello,

Thank you all for the info, cann't wait to leave belgium

sabine

R.A.F Upavon, home of No1 flying school, perched on top of a hill.

Get on the plain at the right time and you can see tanks, helicopters on manouevers. watch for the red flags flying tho

Don't, I repeat, Don't get the locals started on the cost of this!!!!!

As a Bath resident I agree with this wholeheartedly!

Sabine,

I would really recommend that you visit Mells if you can for WW1 History - especially the village Church that has Sasoon's grave as well as many of the Asquith family.

There is not a lot of direct WW1 interest in the city - if you go into the Guildhall building - outside the council chamber you will see the memorial to the two son's of the Mayor who served and died with the Somerset Light Infantry. There is a larger memorial at the entrance to Victoria Park - which lists the names of all killed in both World Wars.

In Bath Abbey there are a few regimental flags including that of the 7th Somerset Light Infantry.

I hope you enjoy your stay in this beautiful city.

pm me if you want any more general info to help with your stay.

Regards,

Brendon.

hello,

thank you for giving me so many good idea's to visite places

I hope the weather will be ok

sabine