Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New RDF website.

Conor Dodd

Looking good

Glyn

Nice one Connor - enjoyed speaking with you guys at the Somme.

Des

Good start Conor,

Enjoyed the story about the chap who escaped and Brady.

keep it going

Arm

Nice work.

This is off-topic, so apologies, but looking at the link to the Irish Defence force, I see that it comments that strength fell by 6,000 between the outbreak of WW2 and May 1940 - due mostly (it says), to 'financial considerations'. Now, I read, years ago, that a large proportion of the irish Forces at the outbreak of WW2 desetred in order to join the british Army: is it possible that this 6,000 drop might be the same thing?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but couldn't think where else to start.

I know that quite a few did desert to join the British Army (and for other reasons) a list of which I have but the number does not appear near 6,000. Will look into it more for you.

I'd appreciate that, Conor. I bought the history of 38th (Irish) Brigade (WW2) on holiday in Dublin last week; obviously, a lot of Southerners served, and I often wondered how many of them had been in the irish Forces pre-war.

The story of the Southerner and Norhterner in a trench in Italy, under mortar fire, discussing De Valera, with the Southerner saying "whatever your opinion, at least he kept us out of this lot" was a classic!

I do like the site, by the way.

I am going away for a few days so I will try and find out when I get back at the weekend. Don't forget to join the RDF Forum by the way !!!