Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zevencote

dunmore44

Does anyone have a trench map of the Zevencote area for 3rd Ypres (October 1917) that they are will to share?

Gilbert,

I must say that that was the first Zevecote I thought of myself. But then I remembered that recently had noticed on another trench map that there is more than 1 Zevencote.

(The one on Marnik's map, near Zonnebeke.)

But I do like the colour of your Zevenkote ! B)

Aurel

Gilbert,

there is more than 1 Zevencote.

But I do like the colour of your Zevenkote ! B)

Aurel

Aurel,

The "other" Zevec(k)ote's you know, historic places or pubs?? :D

Where are they?

Marnik

Thanks all for the great maps . I had just heard from Passchendaele Archives that my great uncle was buried just south of Zevenkote in Oct 1917 just north of the railway line Ieper - Roeselare not far from a railway dump. He was found and identified in 1920 then was re-buried at Tyne Cot.

The first map is really clear and you can easily make out the railway line, so thanks

Dunmore,

Could you tell me more about the place where he was found ? Map co-ordinates ? ... Name of location ? ... More remains found ?... etc. (This would be useful in the research I am doing on Disappeared Cemeteries.)

Aurel

Dunmore,

Could you tell me more about the place where he was found ? Map co-ordinates ? ... Name of location ? ... More remains found ?... etc. (This would be useful in the research I am doing on Disappeared Cemeteries.)

Aurel

Sorry, all i know is that he was kia on 10 Oct 1917 along with 4 others men from his unit. he was buried about 100 yards east of his batteries position with no cross, On the 18 Mar 1920 a company of an exhumation unit found his remains and were able to identify him with his id discs and he was moved to tyne cot

Dunmore,

Thank you. Even that will help. And should you ever find out where exactly the battery position was ... (Map co-ordinates would be wonderful...)

And also if the other men who died with him were buried together with your great uncle (and exhumed later) ... I know it sounds like a strange question, but I am still having problems in my research defining "cemetery".

Aurel

Some ww1 restcamps of the Canadian army were behind that ' zevecote-pub '.

Beneath you will find a scan of pre-ww1 postcard of that area.

King George has paid a visit to that army. The IWM could have some photos of this visit

That ' Zevecote - area ' had e.g. a YMCA, PUBS, ... and was known as ' Little London '

Gilbert Deraedt :blink:

post-33-1155999157.jpg