Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army papers

Aurel Sercu

For the past weeks I have been going through the personal file of a particular soldier (PRO Documents). The quality of the documents I have is rather poor (hardly any contrast). Also : some corners are not complete or far too dark to be readable.

My question to those among you who have some experience with these documents : as for a number of these pages the Army Form number in the top right corner is illegible, what could this be in the following 5 cases, if you know that the heading of the pages is :

- Immediate - Confidential (Army Form B.64???? )

- Description of [Name] on Enlistment

- Medical History

- Statement of the Services of [N° + Name]

- Military History Sheet

Just this :

- I noticed that in extremely small lettering the Army Form number is often repeated at the bottom. But that too happens to be illegible.

- It is possible that some of the above-mentioned documents have no Army Form number at all.

- It is also possible that some of the above-mentioned documents are the back side of a document (that might be among these 5, or that might be in the file somewhere). I would be interested to learn what the front side is.

Just a technical problem, I know, but it bothers me. Also because knowing the Army Form numbers makes it a lot easier to refer to them.

Aurel

Aurel.

Not sure about the first one but pretty sure the description of (name) was on the back of the Short Service Attestation Form. The following different numbers of this form are examples I have, of a seemingly constantly changing and re numbered form.

B111 (1 year with colours, enlistment Aug 1914). (B256 5 years enlistment 1897), B2065 (3 years, enlistment Sept 1914).

Statement of Service and Military History were on the same sheet of at least one example I have, B200.

Medical History. I have examples numbered B178 and some 178A.

I also have.

B204. Application for discharge of a recruit as not likely to become an efficient soldier.

B103 Casualty Form- Active Service.

I think it is safe to say these sheets were constantly amended and no one number was in use at any one time.

Cheers

post-3-1067338913.jpg

Thanks, 'Raster'.

Not all my questions have been answered, but your reply certainly helps !

And now I happen to see that I do not have the Army Form number of another document either : Army Reserve - 6 Years' Service - Attestation of [Name]...

Do you (or someone else) happen to have that Army Form number ?

(So maybe "Description of [Name] on Enlistment" was on the back of it.)

And I know that in order to find out what was on the back of what, one could compare the edges of the documents (holes, little pieces torn off, etc.), but in my case it is not much help either ...

Aurel

B111 (1 year with colours, enlistment Aug 1914). (B256 5 years enlistment 1897), B2065 (3 years, enlistment Sept 1914).

My "One Year's Service' form was specifically [and, I believe, solely] for the Special Reserve. And it was B 248, unamended, used 28 August 1914.

There was a sting in the tail "unless war lasts longer than one year, in which case you will be retained until war is over".

I provide a lot of form numbers [even colours of forms!] in my article "Bounded Duty" in most recent "Stand To".

Langley, here is mine. It has been hand amended to reflect 3 years.

It was used in Hertford on 24th August 1914.

John.

post-3-1067379976.jpg

• 20 years later...

It would appear that the B 111 Attestation was introduced during the Boer War, link to Paul Nixon site below
https://armyformsandattestations.blogspot.com/2012/03/army-form-b111-1900-attestation.html

Copies appear to have been produced in 1914, albeit stating "3 years or the duration". Presumably this was a stop gap until the B 2065 attestation forms were printed and distributed.
https://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/picture/number5473.asp

On 28/10/2003 at 12:11, Aurel Sercu said:

And now I happen to see that I do not have the Army Form number of another document either : Army Reserve - 6 Years' Service - Attestation of [Name]...

Do you (or someone else) happen to have that Army Form number ?

[snip]

Aurel

Form B 59 Army Reserve (Special Reservists)

Les 3 courants de service militaire dans l'armée Brittanique de 1914

Keith,

A question from the time we all were over 20 years younger ! (I wish I and we all were ...  :-) )

But thanks !