Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Roses of No Man's Land

Dave T

Has any one read this book by Lyn Macdonald on the volunteer nurses and doctors who were on the Western Front?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I read this some years ago, before I properly got interested in WW1. I seem to recall it was a good read, although as I wasn't properly into the subject, I can't recall whether it was factually correct etc.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Cheers

Angela

• Admin

This is the book that started me on the road to my abiding interest in WW1. I picked it up in the school of nursing library when I was supposed to be swotting for my finals. Although I have moved on from Lyn MacDonalds books, I have a fondness for this as without it my life would be immeasurably poorer.

It's quite good, among many things covered is the amazing incompetence which led to death by drowning of NZ nurses in Mediterranean on a military ship when there was ample space on a nearby hospital ship which was not attacked. I have been to their memorial near Salonika.

I found this book to be outstanding as some one whos Great Aunt served throughout the war in Field Hospitals and Casualty Clearing Stations it gave me an insight into the life they led. Lyn MacDonald is great at pulling together individuals stories and then knitting the history of the events through them-all in all a good read along with all her others.

Cheers,

Rob

A good read and an insight into the medical side of things, not the total story but still worth buying.

Annette

A good read and an insight into the medical side of things, not the total story but still worth buying.

Annette

To amplify on Annette's closing comment I would say that Lyn Macdonald's books are a good introductory read in so far as they go. The books are generally written around the recollections of veterans and hence areas where there is much material available is well covered but there are other areas where little was available by way of veterans testimony and so these areas are relatively thinly treated and there are omissions. That said "Roses of No Mans Land" is a good introduction to the topic.

excellent book,have re read a few times and still amazed at treatment of v.a.d by matrons,having to lift badly wounded soldiers so that the pillow edges faced the door ready for inspection has the mind boggling.

go out and buy it

biff

Thanks for all your comments, it looks like another a success for Lyn Macdonald. I can see a visit to the local bookshop this weekend!

Dave

excellent book,

Agreed.

Don't be put off by comments implying that it is not a comprehensive account. I doubt MacDonald sets out to provide such an account prefering other historians to follow that path.

have re read a few times and still amazed at treatment of v.a.d by matrons,having to lift badly wounded soldiers so that the pillow edges faced the door ready for inspection has the mind boggling.

biff

Having myself spent time in a military hospital I can empathise with that situation.

Being on traction (hung from the neck until almost dead) in an orthopaedic ward, bed tilted up at head, and many others being hung from the waste beds tilted up at foot, I was 'amused' on Admirals Rounds to be engaged in a form of 'bed tango' so that all those angled down at the feet were on one side of the ward and those angled down at the head on t'other side. It was about two days before we all caught up with our lockers. :D

This was one of the first WW1 books I read and predates my passioante interest in WW1. I found it a very good read - probably my favourite of MacDonald's books.

I found it a very good read - probably my favourite of MacDonald's books.

It is certainly my favourite book of hers.

I'm no expert on the subject but I did enjoy this book. Its readability probably makes it ideal as an introduction to the topic. Am inspired to go back to it now (assuming I can locate my own copy)!

Swizz