Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Deciphering MIC

eltoro1960

Can anyone assist and tell me what info can be obtained from my friends Grandfathers MIC please. All help appreciated.

John

Acting Sgt in the AVC. He qualified for the British War and Victory Medals with the Labour Corps. The references alongside the medals are to the actual medal roll which can be seen at the National Archive.

Terry Reeves

He qualified for the British War and Victory Medals with the Labour Corps.

IMHO I think it more likely that he qualified for the BWM and Victory Medals with the AVC (the first unit he went overseas with) and it is these details that will be impressed around the rim of the two medals. His subsequent transfer to the Labour Corps simply meant that his medal entitlement would be dealt with by them (thus appearing on the Labour Corps Medal Rolls) and not the AVC.

Steve

Apparently he never mentioned his service with the Labour Corps, he volunteered on the first day of the war and was not chuffed to be overlooked for the cavalry on grounds of age, (he was a mounted infantryman in the Boer War). At the outbreak of WW2 he volunteered again and went into a major sulk when rejected, but subsequently joined the LDV / Home Guard. You just can't keep a good man down, thanks for the replies gents. :)