Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A bombing team

gporta

There was not long ago a thread on grenade/bombing tactics which enticed me to produce a sketch trying to picture a British bombing team in action.

The drawing illustrates the two bayonet men rushing forward to their positions while a bomber behind them repares the next grenade.

(I hope that any innacuracies will be excused)

Gloria

215289.jpg

I like your style, Gloria. Have you ever drawn comics etc?

I just think it's not such a good idea to rush around the corner like that, unless the bomber has already thrown his grenade there.

I dunno the correct English term (In Finnish it's "vyöryttää" a trench).

Hi all,

Thanks for the kudos. I hope I didn't over-dramatise the scene. I confess I put the stress in movement in order to leave my poor backgrounds or any equipment or detail mistakes in a second level :lol:

Landsturm, I have worked in both comics and animated cartoons. Much as I loved doing it, it often meant long (and I mean long!) working hours, no social life (or life, point), and little pay (if paid: the bosses think that, as far as you're doing something you like, you should do it for nothing at all)... as a resut of this I now prefer to be engaged in something that pays the bills, and leave the vocational issue to my spare time... at least his way I am free to choose the subject (something not available if you work for someone else). Needless to say, those working professionally as comics artists are heroes to me: I know too well that it is a demanding, and not too regognized, work.

Re the rush forward of the bayonet men: my idea was that they were advancing to where a grenade has just fallen. The bomber behind is also advancing while taking the Mills grenade he will throw once the bayonet men are positioned... However, you're right at pointing that either one or the others may not be as they should: in fact, I may have forced their positions so they could be seen as a bombing team. :rolleyes:

Gloria

Thanks for the kudos. I hope I didn't over-dramatise the scene. I confess I put the stress in movement in order to leave my poor backgrounds or any equipment or detail mistakes in a second level

Movement looks fine. Men rushing through the trench in a battle fury don't pay attention to details in their environment. It's still matter of life and death, even though they have survived across the No-Man's Land in their objective.

Landsturm, I have worked in both comics and animated cartoons. Much as I loved doing it, it often meant long (and I mean long!) working hours, no social life (or life, point), and little pay (if paid: the bosses think that, as far as you're doing something you like, you should do it for nothing at all)... as a resut of this I now prefer to be engaged in something that pays the bills, and leave the vocational issue to my spare time... at least his way I am free to choose the subject (something not available if you work for someone else). Needless to say, those working professionally as comics artists are heroes to me: I know too well that it is a demanding, and not too regognized, work.

I draw comics. And I'm trying to get some of my works published as soon as possible. There are few sample pages I keep in my DeviantART gallery.

Re the rush forward of the bayonet men: my idea was that they were advancing to where a grenade has just fallen. The bomber behind is also advancing while taking the Mills grenade he will throw once the bayonet men are positioned... However, you're right at pointing that either one or the others may not be as they should: in fact, I may have forced their positions so they could be seen as a bombing team.

It's great work, what ever you say.:D

Regards,

Tuomas

Gloria,

I like this. I simply have to confirm the comments of the others. The thing that struck me the most was the intensity of movement, a single second is captured forever by the artists pencil. It seriously feels like the next time you look at it the drawing will have changed.

Jon :)

Tuomas, I've been looking at your Gallery... the artwork is terrific! and the dinos are really awesome. :D

The sample pages of the WW1 Story look fine, too... I hope you will give notice here when they are published!

Jon, to be completely honest, I have added a bit of photoshop effects to the original pencils in order to stress the movement. I guess the movement stresses the uncertainty of the moment: the bayonet men can't tell what they may find at the next turn (which may not be a nice surprise)

Gloria

Jon, to be completely honest, I have added a bit of photoshop effects to the original pencils in order to stress the movement.

That does not bother me at all, the end product is what matters and it alone is the mark of an artists skill. And skill is certainly on display in the above artwork.

Jon

Excellent drawing, Gloria, it really captures a moment in time for me.