Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd London CCS

gnr.ktrha

:) Hello,

Does anyone have any details regarding the 2nd London CCS in Feb 1916? I would also be interested to know if any records survive relationg to this unit?

I have been researching the career of an Officer who Died of Wounds here on the 26 Feb 1916.

Thanks for looking,

Stewart

Hello Stewart

According to the records I have there were two 2nd London CCSs.

That is 54 (1/2nd London) CCS RAMC TF and 55 (2/2nd London) CCS RAMC TF

The 2/2nd was a second-line Unit to 2/1st but didn't arrive in France until 23rd June 1916.

The 54 (1/2nd London) CCS arrived in France on 18th March 1915.

Locations:-

1/4/15 - 31/7/15 - Hazbrouch

1/8/15 - 28/3/18 - Merville

The number 54 had previously belonged to 54 (1st East Anglican) CCS but they were redesignated as 66 CCS

The Unit was re-raised in the 47th (London) CCS TF in 1920 and was numbered 47th (2nd London) CCS in 1922.

The war diary for this Unit March '15 - June '19 is at the National Archive, Ref WO95/563

I hope this helps

Barbara

:) Hello,

Thank you very much for the information. Do you think the War Diary would list an Officer who had died? Or would the hospital have kept Admission Books/Records? If so, do they still exist? I am trying to find out what type of wounds he had. There is no mention of his wounds in either his service papers, unit war diary or in his Obitury.

Regards,

Stewart

I've just looked at the extracts I have of the war diaries for 4 CCS and 36 CCS.

36 CC states how many Officers were admitted and O/Rs. It names commitioned officers and their Unit but only states 'Evacuated' or 'Died of Wounds'. 4 CCS gives a bit more detail so I think it depended on who was writing the war diary at the time.

When entering into a medical unit a patient was entered into the 'Admission and Discharge Register' (A and D Book) so that his journey could be traced, but as far as I'm aware these were taken over by the, then, Ministry of Pensions in order to substantiate war claims, and were destroyed by them in the 1930s. Some still exist and are held at the National Archive. Sue Light produced at printout on some of the registers that still exist on a different thread but 54 CCS is not on that list.

Good luck

Barbara