Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Whats the (scottish?) uniform?

Martin Perry

This is my Grandfather: John Frederick Perry, and it's the only picture we actually have of him.

Apparently, he borrowed the uniform from a friend after the war had ended for the photo (which was subsequently painted in colour - unfortunately we don't have the coloured version at the moment)

Question is - which regimental uniform is it? Our family has never known, and it would be great to finally put an end to all the speculation of many, many years!!

Cheers

Martin

post-12559-1155657434.jpg

Hello,

It looks like a Queens own Cameron Highlanders bandsman's uniform [he apears to be wearing a white bandsmans cross belt and pouch]. The Sporran is a Cameron sporran, and the Glengarry and Hoe tops [socks] are of the correct pattern for the Camerons. His plaid brooch is not of the usual pattern, but it is possible that bandsmen wore their own version. I will have a look and see if I can find any photo's of bandsmen, to see what they wore as a plaid brooch.

Regards,

Stewart

Hi Stewart

Thanks for such a speedy reply!!

Any other info that you can provide would be wonderful - be good to put this one to bed!! Thanks again.

Martin

Awee touch up hope you dont mind

if so let me know i will delete

post-11197-1155658730.jpg

Touch up looking good! Saved it for future reference!

Cheers

Martin