Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers Died

mmm45

Hi

Can someone please help out with any info on 2nd Lt Richard Hartley died 11-11-16 serving with 8th East Yorks, possibly down as west yorkshire regiment ,he was a bombing instructor at Rugely before deploying overseas.

Thank you

Ady

Hi Ady,

I have a Richard Hartley serving with the 8th West Yorks--ODGW [Printed Copy p.84]

Hartley, Richard [Temp] 2nd Lt. Killed 11-11-1916

Hope this is your man!

Regards,

Dave

Thanks lads

The info i have is he was killed by some sort of experimental gas bomb.

After being transferred to East Yorks from West Yorks.

Ady :)

Ady,

Not much on 2nd Lt R. Hartley, the 8th Battalion Gazette has him joining from a Reserve Battalion with a seniority of 12th October 1915 and died 11th November 1916.

Regards Charles

It's a bit of a puzzler is this one Ady. Richard Hartley is listed on both NA [MIC] and CWGC, and being a local [Cleckheaton] lad, I am surprised there's been no mention in the local press. I'm going to Leeds Library tomorrow and I'll have a look at Wyrall's history of the East Yorks, and whatever they hold on the Leeds Rifles, to see if there is any mention here.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Cheers Dave

i also know he was a member of the Leeds Uni OTC and he had a brother name unknown who survived the war.

Im sure if i get to look through the Spen Guardian Microfiches at the library ill find his obituary.

Ady :)

Thanks Ady,

That narrows things down a bit. The L.U.O.T.C. was formed around 1908-1909, and there is also a Univ journal called 'The Gryphon', in which he might be mentioned. Judging by his age at time of death, though, I'm wondering if he was an instructor or cadet. He would have been in his early twenties when the OTC was formed. I'm going in to Leeds Univ today to check something else in the 'Liddle Collection', so I'll book an appointment to see their other archives. These are stored elsewhere, and only open on Mon and Tues, so it won't be until next week when I can access their collection--assuming there is anything in the first place. I'll also check their Roll of Honour.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Hi Ady,

Richard Hartley is listed on the memorial at Leeds University. However, not a great deal of luck elsewhere--for the time being, anyway. I've had a look at the Yorkshire Evening News, which is by no means the only paper, but nothing doing. I'll try the others another time. I've also made arrangements to look at some documents which Leeds Uni hold on former students, etc., so that might prove fruitful, and there is also a basic list in 'The Cross of Sacrifice', along with another twenty-five names or so, so we can rule his elder brother out. Not an awful lot, I know, but I'm sure something will crop up.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Ady, this is a quote taken from the Leodis Database [Photographic Archive of Leeds and District] concerning the L.U.O.T.C. The photos are interesting too. Just type in 'LUOTC' or 'Woodhouse Lodge'

"This group includes young N.C.O's undertaking training with the Officer's Training Corps attached to the University of Leeds. The Officer's Training Corp was founded here in 1910 and was organised and controlled by the War Office. This senior division aimed to provide elementary military training to students at the school and University including members of staff. The students enrolled for two years in return for an annual subscription of five shillings. The University sanctioned part of Woodhouse Lodge to be used as Headquarters and drills were held there and at Carlton Barracks. The contingent had permission to use the West Yorks. Rifle Range as well as the miniature range in the grounds of the University. An annual camp held in late July and August was an opportunity for all contingents from different Universities to convene and be brigaded together. Two certificates of proficiency were presented to cadets on completion of training which were advantageous for future acceptance in the Special Resrve or Territorial Force."

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Ady,

I'm drawing a bit of a blank on Richard Hartley, I'm afraid. I've been in to Leeds Uni today, and both myself and the archivist [Lisa] have looked through the Register of Graduates, and come up with nothing. He is, however, listed on the Roll of Honour, and I also found reference to him in 'The Gryphon', a journal published by Leeds University students. This takes the form of a supplement of those that had enlisted, and is categorized according to 'Status in University or O.T.C.'

Hartley, R. L/Cpl. 2nd Lt. 9th Bttn. E. Yorks Regt.

The date for this particular issue is: The Gryphon, Vol. 19. No. 3, FEB 10, 1916 [p.15]

It may be, Ady, that Richard Hartley was neither student nor staff, but someone who had joined the L.U.O.T.C. Hence, his rank of L/Cpl. before transfer to Army and 2nd Lt. Notice the reference to "9th Bttn." though, and no mention of the West Yorks. But more likely he had already been transfered at time of publication.

I'm not sure this is much help, but it's something to work on.

Kind Regards,

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Ady,

I've had some partial success, and found the write-up of Lt. Hartley's death in the Y.E.P. Sorry, there was no photo.

"Second-Lieut. Richard Hartley, West Yorks, reported accidentally killed by a bomb, was the elder son of the late Tom Hartley, of Cleckheaton. Formerly employed at Halifax on the L. and Y. Railway, he obtained his commission through the Leeds University O.T.C., and was for a time a bombing instructor."

[The Yorkshire Evening Post, Friday, November 17, 1916, p. 5]

Kind Regards,

Dave

PS: I've read something about the De Ruvigny Roll of Honour, perhaps his picture is included there.

Cheers for that Dave

At present am stuck in the Sand in Helmland only getting to a computer every blue moon so research is on hold til i get back to Blighty

:(

Ady

• 1 month later...

Hello Ady,

I've come across another obituary for Richard Hartley. This one is taken from the Bradford Weekly Telegraph [24-11-1916], and is somewhat more detailed than the previous one.

"Hartley, Second-Lieut. Richard, elder son of the late Mr. Tom Hartley, George Street, Cleckheaton, has died at the front. A telegram was received on Wednesday as follows: 'Deeply regret to inform you that Second-Lieut. R. Hartley, East Yorkshire Regiment, died on the 11th November, gassed by...bomb. Accidental. The Army Council express their sympathy.' The telegram was a complete and painful surprise as a letter had been received during the week from Lieut. Hartley saying he was in the best of health and out of the trenches resting. He was thirty years of age, a very popular young man in different circles, and highly respected by all with whom he came in contact. He was formerly a clerk in the Halifax offices of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway.

A member of the Leeds University O.T.C., he obtained his commission with the East Yorks in October 1914, and since then had been in various camps in England, and had acted as bombing instructor at Rugely. He had been in France about six months. As an old scholar of Batley Grammar School and Cleckheaton St. John's Sunday School he had many contemporary friends, and in local sporting circles he will be greatly missed as he was a member of the Cleckheaton Cricket Club, of various local cricket clubs, and also of Royds Hall Tennis Club, Low Moor. Mrs Hartley has another son in training, and we are sure the sympathy of all will go out to her and Miss Hartley in their sad trouble."

This was one of my successes of the day Ady-and guess what-I came across him by accident. I hope there's a few more details within that you can chase up when you have time.

Kind Regards,

Dave

He was formerly a clerk in the Halifax offices of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway.

The St Paul's Cathedral Service book shows him as a Stationmaster's Clerk.